Thread: Gamo Rocket IGT Bullbarrel SAT.

Gamo Rocket IGT Bullbarrel SAT.

Having recently done a comparison in the shop involving the Hatsan 55/60, Remington Express and the Gamo IGT. I decided to give the Gamo a chance and bought it as a gun for rats and ferals around the farm. Some people have criticised the polymer bull barrel fitted to the Gamo but in the limited time I have had it, it has proved to be accurate with a positive lock and no movement of the breech. The cocking action is quite stiff so might I guess, bed in as time passes but if it doesn't I will just accept it for what it is. I decided to fit the 4x32 scope supplied and attempt to zero it. To my surprise it did zero within about 30 shots which isn't bad for someone with a broken left wrist using a chair as an arm support and artillery hold. I had plenty of .22 pellets at hand but I chose to try the Daystate Rangemaster Li. To say I was surprised is an understatement. Over 15 metres it stacks pellet on pellet with a bit of a twangy retort although very little felt recoil. Over the chrono it gave 575-585fps over 50 shots which is around 10.5-10.9ftlb. Easily enough for the intended use. The barrel shroud does mute the sound but I think in all honesty it could be improved. This gun is fitted with the Gamo SAT or "smooth action trigger", it is exactly as described with a very light 1st stage followed by a predictable second stage. The stock is synthetic and has the "Realtree" pattern applied. It is solid to the touch which is where some synthetics fail, feeling flexible and cheap. This one feels warm and has a nice stipple effect to improve grip. The blueing is nice and smooth but I would have preferred the stock finish to continue over the action. The safety would be improved if it was automatic but it sits easily in front of the trigger with a push forward to achieve fire position and a pull back to make safe. This has been bought entirely based on the need to control pests safely around the buildings so although I had plenty of choice within budget including second hand but I wanted to give a gas ram a try. I have ordered a 2-6x32AO scope to make it a bit more versatile and fitted a slip on sling for easy carry. This is not going to suit everyone but it fills the gap in the cabinet and allows me to get into the buildings which is difficult with the 30ftlb Air ranger sitting beside it.
    Update:
    I now have the 2-6x32 and have done further testing. At a measured 27 metres it is doing groups easily within a 5p piece. This is rested on my left arm which is in plaster.
    Last edited by Rob Edge; 16-03-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Hi

Nice review sounds like a cracking budget gun. Got to say never had a Gamo but I change guns like underpants so who knows!!!

Thanks for the review, im looking at getting the camo version

Quote Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
    Thanks for the review, im looking at getting the camo version
    Mine is the camo version. The stock feels very solid with a non slippery feel.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

What sort of money are these?

Cheers,

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by dtdukok View Post
    What sort of money are these?

Cheers,

Darren
    I paid £170 for mine but I have seen some of the older model with the slimline barrel for £150.