Thread: mk 2 Airsporter

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent

mk 2 Airsporter

Currently tinkering with my Airsporter. It appears as though the leading edge of the rear sight has been bashed about. I am told it should fold flat but I cannot see how Or why. Can anybody describe the various components and working of the rear sight ? I'm asking a lot but could anyone go a step further and post pics or video of a working one ?

Cheers folks.

Steve
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

PM Sent.

hi,have a look at john knibbs site.he has pics of the sight in all positions,maybe you could post a pic of yours for us to see whats wrong maybe?,good luck

Mine has a folding rearsight.

It has a hinge and a flat spring underneath.
    They may not all have one.
    Experts will know.

I have looked at the JK site and see the pics... It is similar to mine but not identical. Mine consists of a reversible element attached to a blade by two screws. The blade appears to be attached to the dovetail base by a pivot pin however the base is damaged (vice or hammer) and there is no movement and no sign of a spring. I now have it all off the rifle and bathing in Plus Gas oil.

Here are a selection of pics
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Someone's had a right go at that!
    Maybe time to buy one from Mr Knibbs.

Yes they dis ! Was hoping to salvage rather than spend though.... Any thoughts ?

Also I know that I could buy a screw in pistol grip cap but wondered if any clever folk had come up with an innovative alternative ?

ouch - those arent the original sight element screws either. mine are blued and flatter than those with a beveled head.
    Donald

Yep-that too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Beagle View Post
    Yes they dis ! Was hoping to salvage rather than spend though.... Any thoughts ?

Also I know that I could buy a screw in pistol grip cap but wondered if any clever folk had come up with an innovative alternative ?
    If you could buy a second hand sight base that would really be the only way of restoring to original, as the base is foobard. As above posts, the screws are too big and wrong in shape. I bought a Mk2 with a similar rearsight that had been araldited and bashed but I managed to buy a decent base with a spring and pin reasonable on the auction sight. Whole sights are £20-£30 on there though.
    Regarding the pistol grip cap, there is someone that makes a alloy version and sells some occasionally, and they look quite good. The original bakelite ones were not a great design. These can only be fitted to the stocks with a stud and nut and not the bolt fixing ones. I have seen both on both Mk1 and Mk2's leading to a few discussions on here.
    BASC

Thank you all

Steve

Pleasure.
    That's the way to get help on here - be polite :)