Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When do cases need annealing

When do cases need annealing

Probably written down somewhere but at what point do cases need annealing, & what's the best way to do it ?

or how many times can you reload a case ?

If it matters specifically .22 Hornet/K Hornet.

Cheers.

no fixed rule but do it every 3 or 5 firings
    find a socket that the case fits into which can be inserted into a cordless drill
    anneal in a dimly lit room and spin case slowly in flame until it turns blue then drop into water or air cool

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    no fixed rule but do it every 3 or 5 firings
    find a socket that the case fits into which can be inserted into a cordless drill
    anneal in a dimly lit room and spin case slowly in flame until it turns blue then drop into water or air cool
    I do my cases with the same way as above and I only do it after about 10 reloads. I run a good load not a hot load so my brass lasts a longer time than those that would run a hot load.

bob.

I'm now doing it every firing for consistancy

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    I'm now doing it every firing for consistancy
    I'm pretty sure that even the F class guys and girls don't subject their brass to this, what calibres are you annealing and what ranges do you shoot targets at??

Do cases still need annealing if you're only neck sizing as it must put much less stress on the brass?

If you believe LEE's sales blurb your K hornet neck sized cases should last a lot longer than my standard hornet FL sized cases.
    Thanks for looking

Thanks gents, I had a quick look on U tube but the ones I looked at seemed to contradict each other tine & again.

Using a socket is a great idea,

I think I need to do some as I split a case seating the bullet this afternoon, my frontier cases are on round 6.

why bother?

Never bothered annealing- 308, 6BR, 303. Just neck sized, cases lasting into the teens, exception 303 which I scrap after 5 loads.

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    I'm pretty sure that even the F class guys and girls don't subject their brass to this, what calibres are you annealing and what ranges do you shoot targets at??
    I try and make my loads the same every time. If you anneal only every few firings then each firing will be different. By the way I load 223,243,308

Cases should be annealled if they have had a lot of prep work, are hard to find, obsolete or very expensive otherwise buy new.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    Cases should be annealled if they have had a lot of prep work, are hard to find, obsolete or very expensive otherwise buy new.

TB.
    Well the main issue is that because it's a "K" Hornet I have to fire-form the new case, this makes finding an accurate load for the single use pre formed case a PITA so I'm effectively just wasting the first load which is a real issue with Hornet bullets being so thin on the ground.

That would seem to make annealing worth while ?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well the main issue is that because it's a "K" Hornet I have to fire-form the new case, this makes finding an accurate load for the single use pre formed case a PITA so I'm effectively just wasting the first load which is a real issue with Hornet bullets being so thin on the ground.

Most difinitely

TB

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Can you not load some cheap .224 bullets for this purpose? You can get Sierra soft points for £15-16 / 100 (at least around here).

Or AMC577 mentioned some H&N bullets imported from https://www.shooting-supplies.eu/en/...igh-speed.html

Which work out about half that per 100 but they sell by the thousand!

I've sent you a PM
    Last edited by 223AI; 25-02-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post

TB.
    why buy new when annealing will solve any work hardening for not a lot of money ??? unless one like wasting money that is.

Random question based on your location, but do you know if a guy called Pete is still offering an annealing service for around £13 per hundred inc return post?