Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When do cases need annealing

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    Random question based on your location, but do you know if a guy called Pete is still offering an annealing service for around £13 per hundred inc return post?
    Directed to who ?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Directed to who ?
    gpointer

I'm pretty sure that even the F class guys and girls don't subject their brass to this, what calibres are you annealing and what ranges do you shoot targets at??

I know at least three who do
    One of them is in the top 10 in the country

Pete Law is still offering an annealing service and so is spud1967 have a search for spud on Google and his prices are on his website.

I now anneal after every 3rd firing for 222 223 25-06 303 and soon on 30-06. I do as Loiner suggested and it's easy enough to do yourself. I use a burnzomatic torch with a propane butane mix a cordless screwdriver and have a selection of sockets for my different calibres. I turn them slowly rather that fast like some of the guys on YouTube do, doing it this way means you can see the colour change clearer.

Don't let the case neck transition from silver blue to orange as this means it has got too hot. I let the heat get about 1cm below the shoulder then drop them into cold water. I only drop them into cold water as I previously dropped a 25-06 case onto the floor when hot and melted the carpet costing me £180 to replace.

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Cheers, I have everything needed so will give it a go.

Random question based on your location, but do you know if a guy called Pete is still offering an annealing service for around £13 per hundred inc return post?
    yes I know him well,we live in the same village

Quote Originally Posted by gpointer View Post
    Thanks.
    I have some 5x fired .204 brass that I am going to play with this weekend, but the necks are smaller/shorter than calibres that I have annealed before and the chance of over cooking is higher.
    If I aren't happy with the results I will send them to Pete to put through his machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoolio View Post
    Never bothered annealing- 308, 6BR, 303. Just neck sized, cases lasting into the teens, exception 303 which I scrap after 5 loads.
    Absolutely agree. I used a couple of hundred 308 cases maybe 20 times with target loads. I think the neck tension just gets more consistent with work-hardening - can't ever remember one cracking.

I've come to think annealing is largely a matter of magic and mystique without much substance. Brilliant results claimed may be as much in spite of it as because of it.

303's a different story - some chambers wouldn't give you more than one reload, annealed or not.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Absolutely agree. I used a couple of hundred 308 cases maybe 20 times with target loads. I think the neck tension just gets more consistent with work-hardening - can't ever remember one cracking.

I've come to think annealing is largely a matter of magic and mystique without much substance. Brilliant results claimed may be as much in spite of it as because of it.

303's a different story - some chambers wouldn't give you more than one reload, annealed or not.

Regards,
    MikB
    obviously never tried it,I seem to remember a shooting mag that did a comparison between annealed and a few times fired brass,guess which was the most consistant.
    this says it all really http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Absolutely agree. I used a couple of hundred 308 cases maybe 20 times with target loads.
    I think the neck tension just gets more consistent with work hardening
    what loads out of interest?
    FL sized each time?
    some "target" loads are very mild and may explain the lack of work hardening

as for the consistency of neck tension increasing with hardening....well that is just not physically possible....

David TS is offline Happiness is a warm L1A1 SLR
    Quote Originally Posted by gpointer View Post
    Ah, Ackers - bless, I miss him .
    When I look back, the fondest memory I have is not really of the Goons. It is of a girl called Julia with enormous breasts.
    Spike Milligan

Quote Originally Posted by David TS View Post
    Ah, Ackers - bless, I miss him .
    I think they all go to the same gym as well
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by bewsh View Post
    what loads out of interest?
    FL sized each time?
    some "target" loads are very mild and may explain the lack of work hardening

as for the consistency of neck tension increasing with hardening....well that is just not physically possible....
    No, only necksized - standard f/l die, but stopping a few thou short of the shoulder.

Load was 155 Sierra Matchkings with AR15, half a grain below max.

And I don't agree with your last statement. A consistent insertion pressure could be felt in the press when seating. When using annealed cases it was hardly possible to feel anything at all. Work hardening is used in a number of metallurgical processes to achieve consistent results, so I think your 'not physically possible' is not justifiable.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

No, only necksized - standard f/l die, but stopping a few thou short of the shoulder.

And I don't agree with your last statement. A consistent insertion pressure could be felt in the press when seating. When using annealed cases it was hardly possible to feel anything at all. Work hardening is used in a number of metallurgical processes to achieve consistent results, so I think your 'not physically possible' is not justifiable.

Regards,
    MikB
    exactly,it takes more pressure to seat a bullet with over worked brass,thats the whole point of annealing,you obviously didn't read and digest the link I provided.

And I don't agree with your last statement. A consistent insertion pressure could be felt in the press when seating. When using annealed cases it was hardly possible to feel anything at all.
    Work hardening is used in a number of metallurgical processes to achieve consistent results, so I think your 'not physically possible' is not justifiable.

Regards,
    MikB
    you are double sizing with a FL die (squeeze and stretch)

your half grain off book max demonstrates nothing, the book max is for the rifle they used with the component for that data

quite possible to run high pressures in your rifle with significantly less than book max...its a guide

Name a process that uses work hardening in a metal component that requires it to be malleable and not brittle
    "Work hardening" is done through work not a defined action or process, all metal hardening is done to alter the crystal structure and make the metal less malleable.
    You can not get reliable neck tension using work hardened brass, you have work hardening each and every neck differently with different loads and pressures in FL sizing

Annealing is the CONSTANT not the variation (assuming same alloy component mix and dimensions the spring rate of the metal will be uniform)

crack on with your rock hard, work hardened brass if it works for you but your comment of consistent pressure when seating doesn't indicate your brass is consistent or your neck tension is good

when you size a case you under size it
    when you seat a bullet you are forcing an object into a hole usually 0.002" smaller
    the neck tension comes from the elasticity of the brass alloy as it resists the over sizing action of the bullet.

you simply can not get consistent neck tension (which above all other things is fundamental to the production of repeatable pressure curves, which in turn is one of the key elements of the bullet leaving the barrel on exactly the same point of the barrel oscillation to produce repeatable POIs) from work hardened brass

the brass doesn't spring back and resist the oversizing action of the bullet being seated

but hey, what do I know
    people must do it for a laugh........