Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When do cases need annealing

My take on it is that both camps are right up to a point.

Work hardening is not linear, but changes significantly in its initial stages and the levels out after a certain point.

Take new brass, seat a bullet, then knock it out using a kinetic hammer it will come out quite easily, neck sizing using a collet die, withdrawing the case from the die has little drag, the load needs to be tailored to less neck tension.

Depending on the cartridge, after 3-5 or so loadings the effort required to release the bullet can vary, as can the effort required when withdrawing a case from collet dies, and that felt when seating a bullet.

After 10 or so loadings the brass doesn't want to expand or be pushed into a smaller space, the intermolecular bonds are at their strongest, but being crystalline rather than amorphous they are more likely to fracture rather than flex, hence splits.
    With a kinetic hammer the bullet can be hard to dislodge, but it seems a uniform effort, again the drag on the collet when taking the case from the die and the seating effort also feels greater but is uniform, though there is a greater risk of swaging the bullet to the neck diameter.

Just my thoughts, based on a little science and a sensitive hand on the press.
    Last edited by pothunter; 04-03-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Very well put sir,

But I know people that use gloves when they use their press,

So the sensitive hand thing will never work

Regards and thank you for the scientific disclosure on reloading, it may be lost on some but some will tend to agree like myself,( trying to sound kook now)

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    no fixed rule but do it every 3 or 5 firings
    find a socket that the case fits into which can be inserted into a cordless drill
    anneal in a dimly lit room and spin case slowly in flame until it turns blue then drop into water or air cool
    Excellent advice.