Thread: Westley Richards - Nickle Finish

Westley Richards - Nickle Finish

Here: http://www.gunstar.co.uk/westley-ric...ir-Guns/746133

Nothing to do with me. For those that love these monsters

The vendor describes it as being 'in very good condition', ...oh really.!

Pete.

edbear2 Guest
    And to think I once turned a mint one down at £25 (it was circa 1971 and in the window of Coles in Cirencester)

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Here: http://www.gunstar.co.uk/westley-ric...ir-Guns/746133

Nothing to do with me. For those that love these monsters
    I think I'm right that this one has been fitted with the 'WR' monogrammed horn grips of the earlier, scarcer HP with frame cutout, and they don't quite fit properly.

Maybe someone with an early example fitted with later grips (I'm sure I've seen a couple over the years) will want it just to swap those grips around? Not cheap though.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Danny,

Thanks for posting the link. Plated finishes rarely stand the test of time and never look as nice as the patina remaining from an original blued finish. I have one of these pistols as apart from being what I believe was the first commercially available British spring powered air pistol, I love its large Victorian revolver appearance.

The Concentric model which followed, would seem to have been a bit of a retrograde step as although it looked a bit sleeker, it was smoothbore and had fixed sights.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

Thanks for posting the link. Plated finishes rarely stand the test of time and never look as nice as the patina remaining from an original blued finish. I have one of these pistols as apart from being what I believe was the first commercially available British spring powered air pistol, I love its large Victorian revolver appearance.

The Concentric model which followed, would seem to have been a bit of a retrograde step as although it looked a bit sleeker, it was smoothbore and had fixed sights.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian

Credit where it's due, Mark D posted the link... I agree re. plating as it looks very messy unless pristine, which looks indistinguishable from a new replating job!

I'm sure I've been told that the Concentric model followed the big, ungainly HP, rather than vice versa, but I had forgotten until you mentioned it. I didn't know they were smoothbore. I wonder why?

I've always thought the 'Improved' Britannia was a retrograde step, at least in looks!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Looking again at that nickel-plated HP, the cocking link/trigger guard looks very thick at the piston end...

Pics of Westley Richards pistols here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Choke ! 1,350 quid!!!! I got mine for less than a third of that, bought it form a bloke whose father had found it at a municipal tip many years ago and acquired it for 10/-. Apparently he phoned up Westley Richards about it only to be told it was 'worthless'.

I do like them though, so utterly British.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think I'm right that this one has been fitted with the 'WR' monogrammed horn grips of the earlier, scarcer HP with frame cutout, and they don't quite fit properly.

Maybe someone with an early example fitted with later grips (I'm sure I've seen a couple over the years) will want it just to swap those grips around? Not cheap though.
    Hi Danny l have a WR with the WR horn grips and the dovetail rear sight, without the heart shape cutout se/no 165.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi Danny l have a WR with the WR horn grips and the dovetail rear sight, without the heart shape cutout se/no 165.
    Thanks for that, Mick. I've just consulted my bible (ESAP by Prof Griffiths) and of course the horn grips were fitted to early pistols with and without the cutout.

This nickel-plated pistol does seem to have grips that sit slightly low in the frame, though.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks for that, Mick. I've just consulted my bible (ESAP by Prof Griffiths) and of course the horn grips were fitted to early pistols with and without the cutout.

This nickel-plated pistol does seem to have grips that sit slightly low in the frame, though.
    Hi Danny if you look closely the grips are not fitted in the right place, as the bottom of them are below the bottom of the frame which they shouldn't be. and the one has some damage to it,
    still a nice pistol.