Thread: Hammerli pistol wanted

Hammerli pistol wanted

Does anyone have an opinion on Hammerli AP20 pistols?
    My daughter is 13 and really enjoying 10m target with her Weihrauch HW40 and getting very good grouping but I think to keep the interest going a more suitable weapon is required.
    Having looked around the Hammerli seems the best option for her age and has the ability to improve her skill level further so if anyone has one I could be interested in buying.
    I have seen forum comments that they go for around the £400 to £450 mark.
    Is that about right as I cannot find a sale to reference from?
    Cheers
    Mark

We bought one as a club gun and a member bought one. The weak point of these air pistols is the fact that the cylinder and body threads are very fine and alloy to alloy. They require a lot of care to avoid cross threading and damage. If damage does occur, debris can easily enter the body of the piastol. The cylinder seal is prone to damage and although very easily replaced; they supply quite a few spares!; it is annoying. Both pistols required new cylinders after a fairly short time. I also have reservations about the cylinder valve sytem. All in all it is a pity because the AP20 is otherwise a good improver air pistol. If you bought one secondhand I would be prepared to have to buy a new cylinder.

Personally I wouldn't recommend that you buy one, unless it was very very cheap. I think that you could do much better for £400-450.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    We bought one as a club gun and a member bought one. The weak point of these air pistols is the fact that the cylinder and body threads are very fine and alloy to alloy. They require a lot of care to avoid cross threading and damage. If damage does occur, debris can easily enter the body of the piastol. The cylinder seal is prone to damage and although very easily replaced; they supply quite a few spares!; it is annoying. Both pistols required new cylinders after a fairly short time. I also have reservations about the cylinder valve sytem. All in all it is a pity because the AP20 is otherwise a good improver air pistol. If you bought one secondhand I would be prepared to have to buy a new cylinder.

Personally I wouldn't recommend that you buy one, unless it was very very cheap. I think that you could do much better for £400-450.

Rutty
    Thanks Rutty,
    what else is there in the field of target pistols that would suit a junior more as so far I can only find these pistols?

Top of the list has to be a Steyr LP2 Compact or failing that any compact (or equivalent) from FWB, Morini, Walther. They might cost a bit more but would be a much better investment in all respects.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    Top of the list has to be a Steyr LP2 Compact or failing that any compact (or equivalent) from FWB, Morini, Walther. They might cost a bit more but would be a much better investment in all respects.

Rutty

I totally agree with Rutty, and would add that if you buy one of the above, they tend to keep their value, so even if your daughters interest slips, you aren't going to lose much if anything if you come to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I totally agree with Rutty, and would add that if you buy one of the above, they tend to keep their value, so even if your daughters interest slips, you aren't going to lose much if anything if you come to sell it.
    I can't really afford the Hammerli price tag to be honest so going higher is not an option I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by markkeogh View Post
    I can't really afford the Hammerli price tag to be honest so going higher is not an option I'm afraid.
    I recently bought a Morini 162e for £425 in immaculate condition. You'll have to be patient and keep a daily eye on the for sales sections here and other websites. I was using my clubs Hammerli AP40 and this is a good pistol if you can find one with a suitable grip size. You won't lose money on a quality second hand pistol.

Keep an eye out for old Hammerli co2 pistols which still do a good job.
    Some of them are smaller too.
    Run on 8 gram co2 available on net and Wilkos.
    Cost £150 upwards.
    In sales and or collectables on here and Classicapa.

The Alfa pro earlier models run on 12 gram co2.
    Very good and around £250

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Keep an eye out for old Hammerli co2 pistols which still do a good job.
    Some of them are smaller too.
    Run on 8 gram co2 available on net and Wilkos.
    Cost £150 upwards.
    In sales and or collectables on here and Classicapa.

The Alfa pro earlier models run on 12 gram co2.
    Very good and around £250
    .....and the Tau 7 (from £150 upwards) or even the TAU 7 MATCH if you can find a genuine one! Brilliant pistols at a fair price ( but genuine Match versions are getting a bit pricey).

See this link for more info:-
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ighlight=Match

The original Hammerli Master pistols use the more readily available 12g CO2 capsule and not only work well but make a good investment too from £159 upwards.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks for the advice all,
    got a Hammerli AP20 Pro in the end.
    Seems pretty good and daughter's really happy.