Thread: Reloading Storage Accessories

Reloading Storage Accessories

Getting the electric in my reloading workshop in the next few months. Hopefully I'll then be in a position to buy some reloading gear. What storage accessories have you got in your reloading rooms? Anything that you find really handy to have?

Noticed some good accessory boxes coming up for sale in Aldi this week for £8.99 which I'll probably pick up. I'm thinking brass and primer storage. Is it compulsary to store reloading components in an ammo safe?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

AFAIK there is no legal requirement for reloading components (except expanding ammunition but this depends on each individual force from what i see on here) to be securely stored. All of my powders, primers (got to keep them away from moisture) and accessories reside in something like this in my reloading area.

make certain your get trays that suit your cases over universal ones (which are normally too big and allow the brass to rock back and to). I like the Frankford ones...
    Last edited by sidesy; 24-02-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added tray info
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Loading trays (RCBS) for "in progress" whilst loading.

MTM Case-gards for fired cases and loaded rounds. Kranks have them and they're reasonably cheap.

Primers in the safe. Bullets in their original boxes. Powders in their original tubs (do not keep them in a safe!)

On the required security for storage, nothing aside from expanding bullets which need to be in your ammo store.

Primers I'm not sure about- as they're "on ticket" I lock them away to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Loading trays (RCBS) for "in progress" whilst loading.

MTM Case-gards for fired cases and loaded rounds. Kranks have them and they're reasonably cheap.

Primers in the safe. Bullets in their original boxes. Powders in their original tubs (do not keep them in a safe!)

On the required security for storage, nothing aside from expanding bullets which need to be in your ammo store.

Primers I'm not sure about- as they're "on ticket" I lock them away to be safe.
    As above, I also use the small food/freezer tub's (baco-foil ?) available from supermarkets in packs of 5, ideal for storing cases by maker/dirty/clean etc although a bit small for the larger calibres, while the common "Curver" type plastic tool boxes are good if you need to clear your work bench when finished to store tubs of powder, die sets, scales, verniers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Getting the electric in my reloading workshop in the next few months. Hopefully I'll then be in a position to buy some reloading gear. What storage accessories have you got in your reloading rooms? Anything that you find really handy to have?

Noticed some good accessory boxes coming up for sale in Aldi this week for £8.99 which I'll probably pick up. I'm thinking brass and primer storage. Is it compulsary to store reloading components in an ammo safe?
    Walls ice-cream tubs [emptied of ice-cream of course] for cases in all stages of use - fired and awaiting cleaning, cleaned and awaiting prepping, or prepped and awaiting loading

Leave primers in their original SAFETY packaging, like it reads right there ON the original safety packaging.

tac

Since when have primers "been on ticket"

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    VCR Act 2006- You're now required to have an FAC with a suitable calibre listed to purchase primers. Not written on or anything (and some RFDs seem to not ask once they've seen you a few times with FAC/got you on their system), but not like empty cases or target bullets that anyone can buy.

To be fair, I'd lock them in the safe either way so they're out of the way.

I have a large steel cabinet that I was given in my workshop that is lockable and contains all of my loading and gun cleaning kit. primers are kept in that inside a second locked cash box which lives in a clip top Tupperware to keep the moisture out.

All of the rest of the kit is in there with brass in various tupperware type tubs and then transferred into mtm ammo boxes once prepped and primed. Once primed it goes in the ammo cabinet along with any expanding heads.

I do have target bullets Stored in the cabinet in the shed and to my mind if someone broke in and found primed brass, powder and bullets it would be easy to make ammo even if they didn't have the dies (which I do keep in the house to avoid any risk of rust on the polished surfaces).

My angle grinder lives in the cabinet too just to make life a little more difficult for prospective thieves!
    Last edited by 223AI; 25-02-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    Thanks for looking

All my reloading gear and bench I use is in the garage, it can get cold and damp out there some times. I keep all primers, powder and any primed cases in the house. I have a locked cabinet in a room we use as an office, it's not a safe, but it's locked and out the way. I don't think there is any need to keep primers in the ammo safe.
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

I have this mounted on the wall. Perfect for bullets, cases and dies.

Aldi have a nice little storage rack set at the moment for anyone looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I was about to ask the same since I have yet to be asked to show my FAC when purchasing said items. But as Zanes points out, here it is:

Section 35: Restriction on sale and purchase of primers
    Section 35 introduces controls on the purchase and sale of cap-type primers designed for use in metallic ammunition for a firearm, including empty cartridge cases incorporating such primers. Primers may only be sold to or purchased by persons with the appropriate firearms certificate or other authority under the Firearms Acts. The section creates offence for selling and purchasing or attempting to purchase with a maximum penalty under this section of six months imprisonment or a £5,000 fine, or both.

Must remember to take the certificate next time I go shopping!