Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
I have never been able to understand why people use inferior ammo for trigger time or practice or plinkingsaving their best ammo for "serious" shooting, why?

cost or availability of components mainly. And I dont always have a few hours before/on the run up to a range trip to make ammo. A typical trip could see me shoot 200 or so rounds of 223. My premium factory loads for hunting cost around £1.20 a bang, reloads around at a guess 60p and cheapy 23p a round

you dont learn anything, actually, you learn just as much, if not more since you can for the same cost, shoot more rounds

the use of inferior ammo wont tell you how well your rifle is performing yes it doeswont tell you how well you are preforming yes it does and it wont help in refining your technique. yes it does
Its a complete waste of time, money and effort.quite the opposite

TB.
I appreciate and understood what your getting at, but....

Shooting tiny groups isnt always the objective in some disciplines. in service rifle its about getting hits on the target and quickly. This is after being physically exerted, in typical field conditions against the clock. You will come across a semi custom rifle, loaded with 77smk and capable of 0.5moa yet despite that will get some misses on a fig12 target at 200m because it can catch people out shooting under those conditions. A typical part of the CoF could be 200 yards sitting, 10 rounds to be fired on 5 exposures lasting 6 seconds each. Scored at 5 for the inner ring and 4 anywhere else in the target. Here its better to get hits quickly than take too long with a perfect bench rest let off because youll run out of time and drop a hell of a lot more points.

Shooting cheap ammo is worthy trigger time as the AUG has a very unusual and heavy trigger amongst Many other quirks. Practicing shooting positions, loading and mag changes, sight picture and trigger break are all skills practiced and maintained regardless of the ammo cost. So I could be shooting at reactive targets (water jugs, rubber gong etc) because all that matters is the hit, not the group.

Then there is building strength, dexterity and endurance in your charging hand because it gets tiring quickly when out of practice. If your not assertive with an AUG action they tend to not fully go into battery, miss feed or fail to clear the action on extraction because the charging system wasnt designed with straight pull in mind. This is all in regards to understanding how you and your rifle are performing.

For the likes of benchrest, lsr, f class etc etc I completely agree regarding decent ammo v lesser ammo as you are practicing shooting for accuracy. With the AUG, I am not.

So I guees it just depends on what your trying to get out of your shooting practice. Its also worth noting that a 3xoptic with a tactical/battle style BDC reticle hardly promotes accuracy.