Thread: Annual reminder - BP or Nitro?

Annual reminder - BP or Nitro?

Just in case anybody out there mistakenly thinks about making a super-hot BP load by using nitro propellant instead........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmsBF6CXs18

Props to CVA for making this video.

tac

Thanks for reminder!!!.A good Safety Video Well explained and demonstrated
    Best Regards Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

I hasten to add that these are modern in-line style rifles of a kind that is passing rare here in UK, but the main point here is not to mix up propellant - EVER.

Many moons ago I was first 'around the corner' on a range enclosure where a young man had overloaded his dad's Colt Model of 1917 - a .38Spec - with what turned out to have been a compressed load of 26gr of Bullseye under a 158gr lead bullet.

The resultant kaboom blew the cylinder into splinters, one of which killed his cousin standing bedside him.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Many moons ago I was first 'around the corner' on a range enclosure where a young man had overloaded his dad's Colt Model of 1917 - a .38Spec - with what turned out to have been a compressed load of 26gr of Bullseye under a 158gr lead bullet.

What was the story behind that? Deliberate act (although a 7 times overload would be Darwin worthy...) or mistook one powder for another (although what powder would allow 26 grains in a .38?)?
    Last edited by zanes; 26-02-2015 at 09:50 PM.

I've just filled a 357mag case to the brim with bullseye and struggled to get 17grains into it. It would take some compression to get much more in!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post

What was the story behind that? Deliberate act (although a 7 times overload would be Darwin worthy...) or mistook one powder for another (although what powder would allow 26 grains in a .38?)?
    A total beginner using a setup for loading .30-30 who then knew enough to switch powder......but did not change the auto-charger setting - or so we were told. The person was a US serviceman visiting his dad, a DoD employee. He had never reloaded ANYTHING before that morning.

The four surviving cartridges contained the highly compressed loads, and yes, it was the second shot that blew the poor old gun up.

tac

Can someone explain the science behind why the smokeless powder produces such violent results?

Is is because it burns up so fast the bullet doesn't have time to get out of the barrel, where as standard powder has a slower burn rate and therefore gives the bullet a chance to get out of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    A total beginner using a setup for loading .30-30 who then knew enough to switch powder......but did not change the auto-charger setting - or so we were told. The person was a US serviceman visiting his dad, a DoD employee. He had never reloaded ANYTHING before that morning.

The four surviving cartridges contained the highly compressed loads, and yes, it was the second shot that blew the poor old gun up.

tac
    Oof.

Fair play to the gun for containing the first shot- presumably the first cracked the cylinder and the second exploited that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy Rotten View Post
    Can someone explain the science behind why the smokeless powder produces such violent results?

Is is because it burns up so fast the bullet doesn't have time to get out of the barrel, where as standard powder has a slower burn rate and therefore gives the bullet a chance to get out of the way?
    Basically, you are right - it is the rapid burning rate of pistol powders that gives them their ooomph in short barrels that handguns have - even LBRs and pistol-calibre carbines. This particular smokeless powder is specially formulated to be used for firing lead bullets at comparatively low velocities, for instance, my Ruger Super Redhawk, a revolver built on the same frame as the gigantic Ruger .460, uses a 6.5gr charge to fire a 158gr bullet at around 1100 fps. Back in the good ol' days, when I shot competitive centrefire bullsye target with my Walther GSP-C - a .32 Smith and Wesson calibre wadcutter-shooting round, the load was a measly 3.2gr of Unique. there are, of course, many others these days, especially made for either handgun or shotgun applications.

So in the correct SMALL amounts, by comparision wth black powder, for instance, the pistol powders are perfectly safe when used in the correct amounts, ie, not very much. A reasonable load for a .44Mag load shooting a 240gr RN or FN lead bullet is in the area of 7 - 9gr of Unique. By contrast, a full-house load for a 240gr JHP in a.44Mag is 22 -24gr of 2400, another pistol powder whose job in life is propelling magnum rounds at the limits.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I've just filled a 357mag case to the brim with bullseye and struggled to get 17grains into it. It would take some compression to get much more in!
    Yup.

tac