Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: side levers

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    They are generally very nice rifles. The Diana 48/52 series are a bit heavy but can compete very well for accuracy against non sidelevers. The recoiless 54/56 (do I remember correctly?) are a good design but also on the heavy side. Many say you have to short stroke the 48/52 to get acceptable performance / shot cycle at <12 ftlbs, but I have shot very sweet examples in standard format.
    The Air Arms series of sidelevers from yesteryear ... Mistral, Bora, Camargue, EX88 were highly regarded when they came out and I remember the magazine reviewers positively drooling over them.
    Cheers, Phil
    I was handed a air arms khasmin 177 a short while ago side lever shoots well considering it's age.
    Falcon Prairie CS.22 Huntsmans .20 Theoben .20 & .22 FAC

Tap loading side levers - Are all crap. Especially Jackals and Trackers.

(Actually, all tap loaders except MK1 Airsporters are crap).

Diana side lever sporters - Heavy and relatively crap.

The side lever is generally an unbalanced, asymetrical exersize in uglyness. And if it wasn't for the difficulties of fitting a rear sight, they'd all be top levers, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think that Air Arms should have made the Pro Sport a sidelever, although this might have been awkward for left-handed people..
    As opposed to being awkward for everyone

I love my FWB sidelevers. For me, it's the best configuration for a fixed barrel rifle. I've always loved the looks of the Webley Tracker, but have been put off by the tap. Now, a short, light sliding breech or rotary breech sporter, that would be something.

I have the air arms jackal and i was surprised how accurate it is

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    As opposed to being awkward for everyone

I love my FWB sidelevers. For me, it's the best configuration for a fixed barrel rifle. I've always loved the looks of the Webley Tracker, but have been put off by the tap. Now, a short, light sliding breech or rotary breech sporter, that would be something.
    you will be on the air arms fatwa list

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

The side lever is generally an unbalanced, asymetrical exersize in uglyness. And if it wasn't for the difficulties of fitting a rear sight, they'd all be top levers, probably.

thanks for your inputt, will have to choose to differ on that.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    thanks for your inputt, will have to choose to differ on that.
    I suspect there will be a few that disagree with Rickenbacker, these old side/underlevers have a huge following and a certain quality and charm lacking in a lot of modern rifles, each to their own and all that!
    Would be a pity if we all liked the same thing and that applies to cars, women, music etc, etc!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

While it's certainly not in the league of a Diana or an HW, a few months ago I just had to have a try at modding an Industry Brand QB57. The stock version is just SO ugly, made it tempting to do something fun while causing no harm, or rather not upsetting anyone by ruining a proper air rifle. It's a very modest side-lever spring piston bullpup. Loud firing as the spring and piston are right under the ear. I made a lot of changes, among them sleeeving the spring to help quiet that. Shimmed it out to raise the power a bit so its managing a fairly smooth 9.8fpe, in the .22" version with Hobby pellets (everything else I've tried from 11gr to 18.2gr is less efficient at 9.5fpe and lower, and for the most part harsher) and glued neoprene over the cylinder and around the side lever to contain the sound of the piston. Works quite well. Cutting the barrel to 10" cost about 5% of the power but made it Mich easier handling. Shrouded and baffled a few inches in front of the new crown. It's reasonably accurate for a tiny take-down bullpup I can fit into a small daypack and bring along on walks. Does it matter that it's a side-lever? Not really. But it's an interesting and odd rifle and works well enough, and provides endless (so long as there are pellets) fun and the usual challenge of a springer. Similar to my old Webley pistols. Not hard hitting nor accurate enough for grey squirrels, bit well satisfying for pump-free shooting. I have my PCPs for the serious work. Ugly as sin, I know...

http://www.luthier.ca/other/forum/QB...h_neoprene.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    While it's certainly not in the league of a Diana or an HW, a few months ago I just had to have a try at modding an Industry Brand QB57. The stock version is just SO ugly, made it tempting to do something fun while causing no harm, or rather not upsetting anyone by ruining a proper air rifle. It's a very modest side-lever spring piston bullpup. Loud firing as the spring and piston are right under the ear. I made a lot of changes, among them sleeeving the spring to help quiet that. Shimmed it out to raise the power a bit so its managing a fairly smooth 9.8fpe, in the .22" version with Hobby pellets (everything else I've tried from 11gr to 18.2gr is less efficient at 9.5fpe and lower, and for the most part harsher) and glued neoprene over the cylinder and around the side lever to contain the sound of the piston. Works quite well. Cutting the barrel to 10" cost about 5% of the power but made it Mich easier handling. Shrouded and baffled a few inches in front of the new crown. It's reasonably accurate for a tiny take-down bullpup I can fit into a small daypack and bring along on walks. Does it matter that it's a side-lever? Not really. But it's an interesting and odd rifle and works well enough, and provides endless (so long as there are pellets) fun and the usual challenge of a springer. Similar to my old Webley pistols. Not hard hitting nor accurate enough for grey squirrels, bit well satisfying for pump-free shooting. I have my PCPs for the serious work. Ugly as sin, I know...

http://www.luthier.ca/other/forum/QB...h_neoprene.JPG
    You know, thats not at all bad. Have one here at the back of the gun room, Norconia branded, got it off Brutus a few years back for my son, have to dig it out and have a look at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    My Wife's Webley Tracker Deluxe (oiled Walnut stock) is pretty tastey! (nearly as good as my Airsporter 'S' Carbine Deluxe - but that's an underlever.) (Oiled walnut stock)

ASM
    yes like the Airsporter S myself, have a series 1 in .22 and a Mercurey S series 2 in .177.

I used to have an original model 75 as my first target rifle. It was quite a nice rifle and very capable but I was eventulŷ seduced by a fwb 600 ssp. In terms of side levers, I still have an air arms/jackel and a Titan Mohawk both of which seem to promise more than they deliver.
    Liam Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I like that. Has some kind of a STEN thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by lwebster View Post
    I used to have an original model 75 as my first target rifle. It was quite a nice rifle and very capable but I was eventulŷ seduced by a fwb 600 ssp. In terms of side levers, I still have an air arms/jackel and a Titan Mohawk both of which seem to promise more than they deliver.
    Yes I gave an old 75 a home a few years back, no one at the bell target club were it had been used by its previous owner wanted "old -tech" well there loss has its awesomly accurate with the period diopter out to 20yards and I only paied £60.00 for it

I think Diana should of made their stutzen out of the sidelever 48/52 action to avoid having that dirty great slot under the stock.
    I don't think even the HW80 can make power as easily as a 48/52, great rifles.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I think Diana should of made their stutzen out of the sidelever 48/52 action to avoid having that dirty great slot under the stock.
    I don't think even the HW80 can make power as easily as a 48/52, great rifles.
    Have you seen what this Polish guy does with the 48/52: http://www.guntuning.com/content.php...id=78&lang=eng

Mauser K-98 replica?? I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it...