Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mid-low end pcp advice please

mid-low end pcp advice please

Hi all, back once again for a spot of advice. due to overtime this month ive found about £500 burning a hole in my pocket. You all helped me with finding the 1982 HW80 i bought so thought it would be good to get your collective advice again.
    Hello again all,

I'm looking at getting a lightweight PCP to go with my lump of a .22 springer. The budget includes a means of charging so i don't have a lot of wiggle room. The rifle will primarily be used for target shooting to 40yds and hunting up to 30yds, pigeon mainly. Ive got a scope i can bolt on to it already.

I'm quite taken by the BSA Ultra single shot. My local RFD can do it new for £446 with a webley accupump. Leaves a little in the kitty for a HW silencer and a tin of pellets. I'm not too worried about the exertion of using a pump as im a big lad and can always shell out for a bottle at a later stage. A little concerning is the 30 shot count but more concerning is the oft mentioned power curve. Does this produce significant POI shift?

Would it be worth waiting and spending an extra 100 or so to move up to the S400 or similar? Any others i should be considering? I cant see much available second hand locally and what there is never seems to have a bottle/pump included. Any better second hand choices?

Any and all input gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance,
    James

I await the replies as I am going through the same scenario.I fancy the Walther R8 and my local dealer has 1 in .22 flavour in stock,been there this morning and love the gun but a tad heavy for my old age muscles.

I have sourced the bottle could not be doing with a pump.

BILL50

Must you buy new? If not I'd look for a second hand Air Arms 400 on here. The Ultra isn't a bad gun but the Air Arms is better. Good luck.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Must you buy new? If not I'd look for a second hand Air Arms 400 on here. The Ultra isn't a bad gun but the Air Arms is better. Good luck.
    I am ok with 2nd hand but nothing much about as it happens just at the moment.

BILL50

Absolutely no reason it needs to be new. Im swaying towards new as most of the second hand models i have seen have barely been cheaper, postage is much trickier now and Spending 20 quid less with lack of security of a warranty seems a false economy. If there are deals, i havent seen them. Also most include a scope which is not essential for me.

The 400 looks good. Ill do some more digging. Any other 2nd hands to consider? My previous posts have been culled so i wont have access to the sales forum for a while but ill have a dig when i can. I also keep trawling gunstar/trader.

Thanks for the help, james.

Just bought a Gamo coyote for 349. As a 10 shot magazine plus getting 100'shots per fill. Gun is made by bsa. Very accurate. Pumps are very hard work!

Easy, Air arms s200 or s400.
    hoplophobe

Bought me bottle so just need the gun now.

BILL50

Hatsan at44..., gun is multi, 50 + shots, 3 mags, scope, mounts, silencer & i think you get a bi-pod......

£350

buy a bottle & still be under 500.

synthetic stock, anti double feed, highly upgradeable side lever & very accurate to boot... only thing its isnt is small & lightweight.
    hope this helps
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Go for the Ultra brilliant rifles, very accurate not heavy I can't fault them.
    Regards
    Lloyd

Interesting suggestions of the Hatsan at44 and Gamo Coyote. Definitely worth a look over tomorrow before work. i'll definitely factor a little more saving for or sourcing a 2nd hand 400. Nice to also hear a plus one for the Ultra. Doesnt look like choice is a problem in this price range....

Thanks for all the suggestions! Any others more than welcome. #just dragged myself in from work so ill have a good look at them tomorrow. #Thanks all.

Ultra, you can always have a bigger cylinder fitted if you get bored with pumping for target shooting

HW silencer too light for them, stick on a steel PH and heavy ish scope and mounts, otherwise you might find you can't hold it steady for shooting off hand -

Other choice Brocock Concept, simple, nothing to wrong, bigger cylinder. Not as robust as BSA but a bit more weight as Ultra's can be 'too light' -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Falcon FN12 or 19 they are nice and light and IMO have some of the best barrels ever produced. They can also be picked up for about £3-400 leaving you enough to buy a charging kit.
    Air Arms own Falcon and can do any repairs and servicing so no need to worry about parts availability.
    My FN19 is more than capable of putting in a one hole group at 40 metres if I do my
    Bit.
    Or I would just have a good look on gun trader and see what takes
    Your fancy.
    ATB. Hal.

There's a Walther Rolex r8 brand new on the other forum at £350.

Not owned one but good reports are filtering through at the moment.

Failing that a s400 second hand would be my choice.

Or a 410/510 if you could get one for the right money?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill50 View Post
    Bought me bottle so just need the gun now.
    Bill,

Have a look at the NWSS Facebook page - it lists all their S/H stock. There's an S200 on at the mo. Not far for you to go for a look, and you can have a couple of hours on their range too!