Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mid-low end pcp advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Don't discount the importance of toughness.
    The BSA Ultra is built like a tank, short and stumpy with a thick full floating barrel.
    The Cayote, S200 and S400 all suffer from weedy barrel syndrome and the barrels are all held in a barrel band up front.
    If you're taking the gun into the field the chances of the pointy end getting a knock are very high.
    The Ultra is also extremely easy to strip and repair at home and seals are cheap, that said I've had several Ultras and I've only had to replace one O ring (on the filler valve) on one of them.
    Shot count is the problem, doesn't bother me as I take my pump in my rucksack.
    Also, Ultras are cheap - £250 will buy one any day of the week and if you shop around they can be had for less. I paid £190 for mine on this forum.
    We've bought another Ultra, the reason being toughness. BSA with the thick free floating barrel well bedded in block, is better than thin barrels with barrel band. I also find that scope shift never happens on BSA's, so deduce scope shift is more likely thin barrels / barrel bands on rifles causing shift in poi due to the effect of temperature variation (cold cold nigh / in sun in daytime type variation)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    We've bought another Ultra, the reason being toughness. BSA with the thick free floating barrel well bedded in block, is better than thin barrels with barrel band. I also find that scope shift never happens on BSA's, so deduce scope shift is more likely thin barrels / barrel bands on rifles causing shift in poi due to the effect of temperature variation (cold cold nigh / in sun in daytime type variation)
    Good man

Good man
    Not quite. Theres an Oring inside the S400 barrel band, which makes it, in effect, free floating, so any changes in temp or expansion/contraction due to change in fill won't affect the POI. The barrel band is just there to protect against knocks in the field. You can really lock it up by drilling small dints into the thread under the grub screws. Any free floating barrel will show a shift if you whack it hard enough..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Good we all have different opinions on which rifles are more / less robust

Fre country (relatively), you pays your money, and takes your choice
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Re

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    Easy, Air arms s200 or s400.
    What he says.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Scope shift never happens on bsa? Try a lightning then you will see the scope moving backwards. True y ou can prevent it with a suitable mount but just shows!

Bsa Ultra , 2nd hand in .22, best sub £250 gun I have ever bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Scope shift never happens on bsa? Try a lightning then you will see the scope moving backwards. True y ou can prevent it with a suitable mount but just shows!
    That'll the Lightning precharged pneumatic then?

Another suggestion if you can find one would be the Brocock Enigma Carbine, mines .22 and is a delight to use. Mine was again 2nd hand and came with a resonable scope, and 1 mag. Shot count isn t bad at 60 usable shots, its got a Weirauch barell and silencer and is accurate, quiet and with air arms domes dose a very consistent 11.3 .Love the fact its a takedown if needed for transport, its tough all weather finish and pistol grip. Suppose it dose fill all my needs along with the MMC Ultra I have. Good luck with your choice, and remeber, enjoy, which is what its all about.
    Last edited by fatttmannn; 07-03-2015 at 07:43 AM.

There's a scoped S410 in the "Sales" section well within your budget and it's pre anti-tamper so it will be easy to service yourself.
    And it's in Coventry which is fairly local.
    If I remember correctly I think that the first two digits of the serial number denotes the year of manufacture but if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 07-03-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Interesting to note the comments on barrel band v temperature. I removed the band on my RN10 as it didnt seem to like those frosty dawn zeros during winter FT season back in the 20th century. Ill bear the Brocock in mind too.

A few people clued me into the Cov 410 via pm too. Ive had a good look but am now set on 177.
    I already have a 22 and the new rifle will be mainly used for paper punching and woodies on a very twiggy perm. As such i think the flatter trajectory would be appreciated. It also would be better fot hft or ft should i ever get back into that arena.

Its been over a week since payday and my willpower is still holding so im confident i can wait for the right one. If it gets to next payday ill prob go the new route. I like the idea of warranty and knowing it hasnt been messed with. Especially when lots of the 2nd hand deals are priced the same as retail but with a £20 scope i dont need.....

I need to look at how much power curve affects poi on these models. Ill have a search but if anyone remrmbers any threads, i wouldnt mind a poke in that direction. Lack of shots is less important for me than consistency across the usable range. Most of the rifles in my range are unregged so im wondering whether this may be a problem....

Thanks all, James

Sounds like you could end up spending a lot of extra cash if you go the way of Ultra + regged for consistancy + longer tube for more shots + decent moderator + longer barrel to take decent moderator.

I've had a few standrd Ultras - the curve isn't a real problem IMHO, if you're happy with 30 shots per charge.

If you're not happy, that's where the 'right' used one with the modifications already done 'can' be a good buy?

Or a SS Scorpion 2nd hand? I like the Scorpion, a lot more shots per charge, less worrying about 'should it be regged', but 95% of them are multishot. Unfortunately...

After saying all that, I see SGC have the .177 SS Ultra priced at £301 on their website. Seems like a good price for a brand new one?
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 07-03-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: nonsense modified

I had a 410TDR, the later one with the longer cylinder which I think is the same as that on the standard 410 carbine.
    It had a shocking power curve, I was forever chasing the zero.
    In contrast, although the Ultra has fewer shots in it I actually find that more of those shots are on zero.
    The TDR turned in about 50-60 if I remember rightly, 15 climbing, 20 dead on and the rest falling.
    The Ultra does 40, 5 climbing, 30 dead on, 5 falling.

I had a 410TDR, the later one with the longer cylinder which I think is the same as that on the standard 410 carbine.
    It had a shocking power curve, I was forever chasing the zero.
    In contrast, although the Ultra has fewer shots in it I actually find that more of those shots are on zero.
    The TDR turned in about 50-60 if I remember rightly, 15 climbing, 20 dead on and the rest falling.
    The Ultra does 40, 5 climbing, 30 dead on, 5 falling.
    Is that .22 though Bob? The OP want's .177 cal.

Plus theres always the worry of the .177 BSA barrels that only like BisMags... On balance, I reckon the standard Ultra is a better gun in .22 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Is that .22 though Bob? The OP want's .177 cal.

Plus theres always the worry of the .177 BSA barrels that only like BisMags... On balance, I reckon the standard Ultra is a better gun in .22 cal.
    Ive been fancying getting an Ultra of late, but contrary to my .177 in a pcp rule, I would defiantly be getting one in .22 and single shot.. just to rule out any possible nasties
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25