Thread: Returning OAP

Returning OAP

My previous revolvers were a Ruger Old Army and a Pedersoli Remington. Now returning to shooting after a long break and have a quick question. I used Swiss 2 in both and was wondering what 777 was like, nobody at my club shoots with 777, I wonder why? I am considering a s/h ROA but understand spares are not available, do they go wrong that often? Looks like a new Pedersoli at the same price. All comments fully appreciated.

Hi Mac, iv got two ROA,s and never had any breakages ever apart from one which was my own fault. My 51/2" model has
    white plastic grips and i overtightened the grips screw which pulled the nut through the plastic. Bit of araldite and hey ho.
    Theres one regular chap on here who has been shooting his for many many years so he will probably tell you better than
    me what to watch out for.
    Pedersoli do make a good gun but i don't like the Remington front site so it would be Ruger for me, others will probably
    disagree but that would be my choice. I tried 777 and pyrodex and both worked well enough but at our club i don't know
    anyone with a b/p ticket who uses anything other than b/p. Keep us up to date with what you go for. Tim

Like you, I returned to BP shooting a few years ago after a long break.
    I started with 777 and I'm perfectly happy with it. Using it in an ROA, a Pedersoli LePage and a Uberti Colt that is so old it's almost an original!
    Like BP, it takes a while to find the sweet spot of a load but I find it very consistent. Cleaning is a doodle which is also a MAJOR plus point for me and there's no faffing about with strange wooden boxes!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    My previous revolvers were a Ruger Old Army and a Pedersoli Remington. Now returning to shooting after a long break and have a quick question. I used Swiss 2 in both and was wondering what 777 was like, nobody at my club shoots with 777, I wonder why? I am considering a s/h ROA but understand spares are not available, do they go wrong that often? Looks like a new Pedersoli at the same price. All comments fully appreciated.
    1. Nipples can be gotten pretty easily when you need them - Uncle Mike's of Oregon makes them, and a friend of mine in Springfield OR sells them at a price around a quarter of the UK price. Do a search on this site about a month or so ago for details.

2. Any part that is common with the cartridge-firing Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk is available - all you have to do is to source them in UK. Good luck on that one. No ROA-only parts are available, although one person in the USA claims to have located a few of the cylinder base pins at an exorbitant price. He won't ship to UK, though, no doubt since his GGGGGGfather got his ass shot off at Bunker Hill or something.

3. In general they are built like the proverbial, and almost thirty years of shooting mine has failed to make much difference to the condition from new. They have all the best features of the Remington Model of 1858 - a top strap that would support a train, and stainless steel of very high quality - I can't speak for the blue version, but my cousin has a blued Blackhawk from 1968 that is indistinguishable from new, and we shoot the bejasus out of it.

4. On the other paw, Pedersoli make fine guns, and spares are there if needed.

You choose.

tac