Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
With 24gr of 777 what size pre-lubed wad and then what is the depth from face of cylinder to ball. Do you use grease to stop flash over.
Nominal ball size for ROA is .457". Not much point in going any bigger as the excess will shave off as you ram it.

If using grease then no need for a wad. Grease is mandatory under MLAGB rules but that might not bother you. There is some debate regarding whether it stops flashover, but I know of no modern cartridge which does not have lubrication to the lead projectile, and the grease also helps to keep the fouling soft. Most indoor ranges prohibit grease as the mess accumulates, so then you really should use a wad. Some also coat the balls with Alox, but I don't see how that helps as the chamber will shave off the area which bears on the barrel as the ball is rammed.

Conventional wisdom is to seat the ball just below the cylinder face. I have had some success with balls seated well in, but it seems to be variable whereas shallow seating seems to be more consistent. Experiment.