Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
Today (another really nice day BTW) I thought I would try Tac's favoured load in my ROA. OK I am using .457 swaged balls rather than cast per Tac's advice, and I confess that I was somewhat sceptical, but I found that 25 gn of VLC actually worked rather well. Scored 90 dead with it, and not as punishing on the elbow as I had expected.

So Tac, you were right and I was wrong (not for the first time either).

It does seem to me that the ROA is particularly insensitive to load - perhaps this is why it is so popular.

It also seems to me that a lighter load works better when the weather is warmer, and a heavier one when it is cold. Anyone else get that feeling? This calls for further experimentation.
Glad it worked out for you - proof, indeed, that I don't talk out of my a$$ ALL the time. As for cast - v - swaged, it's a matter of rich -v - poor. Y'see, I'm a poor old part-disabled pensioner who can only afford to cast whereas you are undoubtedly some kind of bloated plutocrat who can easily afford to pay 25 times more than I do for the same thing, namely a little lead ball.

The lighter/heavier/warmer/cooler thing is not imaginary, BTW, it's a fact of life with shooting BP, especially rifle at long ranges - it's called RAD - relative air density, and has a tremendous effect on any longer shooting bullet, and here I'm talking about 900 - 1200 yards or so. 100gr of FFg on a cool day will feel totally different from that same load on a hot day, especially underneath a 500 or 600gr bullet.

tac, still not dead enough for someone, it seems.