Thread: 6 yard rifle target scoring

6 yard rifle target scoring

Hi all,

A potentially daft scoring question for you.

I've plinked for years but the spring summer MPL is the first proper competition I've ever taken part in. The scoring rules are very easy to understand and I've erred on the side of caution scoring down any doubtful shots and up where I consider a line properly touched or cut.

Anything outside the 4 ring I have considered a miss and scored as zero, entirely logical to my mind and having until now always managed to get at least a 4 I've never had to think about it.

I had a flyer on Saturday and put a pellet just outside the 4 ring and have scored it zero. However (and unfortunately I cannot remember where) on my travels around the web for printable practice targets, I vaguely remember seeing something about hitting outside the rings counting as 1.
    I've searched high and low for a definitive guide to scoring 6yrd targets and have only found ones relating to 10m which have a full set of rings (10 down to 1). So obviously on 10m outside is definitely 0, is this also the case with 6yrd? (where they only go 10 to 4)

I am more intrigued than concerned, but it peeked my curiosity and I worried that if I was doing it wrong I will have robbed my lad of a few points on his January cards as he was a tad nervous and had a few misses (his Feb scores are up to his normal standard with every shot scoring, so no doubts there, phew).

apologies if this is a daft question ,

Andy

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    If you download the NSRA rules & regulations 1 April 2014 from here;

http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/home...y/1-reference#

page 8 refers to scoring in general;

pages 26 - 29 show the method of inward and outward scoring for air rifle and pistol and the sizes of relevant gauges.

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much.

ATB
    Mike.
    Last edited by mikec4; 02-03-2015 at 10:06 PM. Reason: extra info added
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Fantastic, thanks Mike that's exactly what I was after. I found my answer...

5.1.6 Inward Gauging. For inward gauging the value of a shot will be decided by the edge of the shot hole nearest the centre of the target as determined by the use of the gauge. When the flange of the gauge touches the line, the higher value will be credited. Shots outside the scoring rings have no value.

I was pretty certain I was right in scoring them zero, nice to have it confirmed in black and white. You've set my mind at ease.

cheers

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    If you download the NSRA rules & regulations 1 April 2014 from here;

http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/home...y/1-reference#

page 8 refers to scoring in general;

pages 26 - 29 show the method of inward and outward scoring for air rifle and pistol and the sizes of relevant gauges.

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much.

ATB
    Mike.