Thread: how much air do airguns use per shot?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how much air do airguns use per shot?

My daystate mk4is 177 uses around 1bar/shot at 11.5ftlbs. My mate has a daystate airwolf mvt .22 and he says his uses just over 1bar/shot at 40ftlbs... what is the volume! / shot of other rifles?

It depends on cylinder size.
    My Ultra has a very small cylinder and goes from 200bar to 90bar in 40 shots.

Depends on the caliber, power output and efficiency of the rifle ie its valve etc.

I measured the air from a Daystate LR90 in 22 cal, running close to 12fpe, and I found it was about 140ml of free air per shot. That was 20 or more years ago, and I think rifles are quite a bit more air efficient these days.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Biker bob, your gun uses 2.75bar/shot.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    It depends on cylinder size.
    My Ultra has a very small cylinder and goes from 200bar to 90bar in 40 shots.
    What Bob says re. cylinder size and my S200 in .22 drops about 2 bar per shot

Hello Walther R8 running 11.5 ft-lbs (.22) I recon is 1 bar per shot. .177 at 11 ft-lbs. about the same, with in the limits of the gauge accuracy.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Strictly speaking, a bar is a measure of pressure, not quantity. A given rifle will use the same volume of air per shot, regardless of the size of the reservoir. A small cylinder is depleted more quickly than a large one, so to express the air usage as bars dropped could be misleading.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Sorry to be misleading anyone, my gauge on my daystate mk4is is electronic. And in bar, so I can tell how much air it uses per shot.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    My daystate mk4is 177 uses around 1bar/shot at 11.5ftlbs. My mate has a daystate airwolf mvt .22 and he says his uses just over 1bar/shot at 40ftlbs... what is the volume! / shot of other rifles?
    I'm very impressed with 1 bar per shot at 40 ft lb. I reckon my FAC regulated Rapid running at 32 ft lb uses between 2 and 3 BAR per shot. This means from 232BAR down to 140 BAR when my rifle goes 'off the reg' I am pleased to get 3 magazines (36 shots) which is more than enough for a hunting trip.
    Not that it matters because we are dealing here with pressure drop but I use a 280cc bottle rather than the larger 400 or enormous 500cc bottles.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    If your gun uses exactly one bar, then the volume is the volume of your cylinder. Same with your mate's airwolf.

I think the DSmk4 IS has 144 cc cylinder. So yours uses 144cc per shot if it uses 1 bar.

If your mate has a 400cc bottle and uses 1 bar, 1 shot uses 400cc. If he has a 500cc, 500cc.