Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK2 Airsporter

Smile MK2 Airsporter

I have been digging about all morning for relevant posts and getting nowhere ..I came upon some nice examples of Airsporters though, so that is a bonus.
    Now here is the quandary.

A friend has a GD MK2 Airsporter. The thing is, it appears to have been got at.
    It would seem to have a later barrel fitted. The stamped marks are " BSA guns ltd , .22, the crossed rifles mark 5"
    I am unable to post any images as he is unfamiliar with the process and I am 30 minutes away from his place. Much longer if I could walk.

Are these barrels interchangeable and easily replaced? What method is used, screwed, pressed, pinned or sweated in?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-03-2015 at 01:50 AM.

i had a look in my new dennis hiller air rifle book for you and regarding the gd it says,sep 1959-dec 1965,i quote "often referred to as the braized barrel model"and has the same marks as your friends, i have a 'ee' which is the .177. by the way the collectors guide to air rifles enlarged 4th edition is on eeebay at a good price new.

Smile

Hi Martin.Thanks for the reply. Do you think that BSA would have induction brazed the components?

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Hi Martin.Thanks for the reply. Do you think that BSA would have induction brazed the components?
    i'm afraid you've lost me there,i'm sure that you will get all the info soon

Airsporter

I wouldnt of thought any body would change the barrel on a airsporter it wouldn't be worth it

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    It's far more likely that the complete air cylinder/barrel assembly has been substituted from a later rifle?
    The Mk2s usually have four separate machined slots in the top of the air cylinder, as opposed to the later Mks which featured two long machined slots for mounting of a scope.
    If the Mk2 has the two long slots - it's been replaced with a Mk4 onwards.
    As has been said, I doubt if the barrel has been changed, there are few that would have the skills and costs would be prohibitive.
    The serial number for the Mk1 and Mk2 is stamped in front of the trigger housing, so the trigger housing could be used with a later barrel assembly.
    Just my guess!
    If the air cylinder has the four separate slots - I'm baffled!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

This image is borrowed from a listing by jjclack (thanks jjclack) and is a finer example of the Airsporter in question.
    (If it is inappropriate to borrow the image please delete )

http://s753.photobucket.com/user/jjc...G3362.jpg.html

Maybe the question should have been " does the MK2 Airsporter have stampings (probably rolled?) on the barrel".
    My MK1 doesn't but my MK6 does. Was the MK2 barrel marked in such a way?
    As I understand, this air rifle has the 4 slots and the 'duck bill' where the receiver accepts the barrel.
    It is being brought over this avo in about 4 hours time, so I will be able to see for myself. I will take some snaps and post here.

Quote Originally Posted by mark@mbb View Post
    I wouldnt of thought any body would change the barrel on a airsporter it wouldn't be worth it
    We thought the same but then again, there are some very talented artisans and machinists out there.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 05-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.

This image is borrowed from a listing by jjclack (thanks jjclack) and is a finer example of the Airsporter in question.
    (If it is inappropriate to borrow the image please delete )

http://s753.photobucket.com/user/jjc...G3362.jpg.html

Maybe the question should have been " does the MK2 Airsporter have stampings (probably rolled?) on the barrel".
    The picture clearly shows a Mk2 - no doubt about that!
    I will check my Mk2 to see if it has the stampings on top of the barrel.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Smile Cheers Airsporterman

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    The picture clearly shows a Mk2 - no doubt about that!
    I will check my Mk2 to see if it has the stampings on top of the barrel.

ASM

Here are some images of the MK2 barrel in question, serial number GD184XX
    Is it an original barrel?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psrx06rhtp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psvjvonehu.jpg

hi,your friends gun has the same marks on the barrel as a 'braized barrel' mk2 bsa airsporter.it is a mk2 bsa airsporter, by the way the number 5 you refer to is the letter s at the end of trade marks,
    Last edited by martin bingham; 06-03-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Here are some images of the MK2 barrel in question, serial number GD184XX
    Is it an original barrel?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psrx06rhtp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psvjvonehu.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by martin bingham View Post
    hi,your friends gun has the same marks on the barrel as a 'braized barrel' mk2 bsa airsporter.it is a mk2 bsa airsporter, by the way the letter 5 is the s at the end of trade marks,
    Yes indeed, Martin is right!
    I have just pulled my Mk2 from the rear of my Gun cupboard (it's one I aquired some time ago and I havent looked at it for over a year! ) and lo and behold - it has the same barrel stampings on the top of the barrel as my Mk4 and later Mks have. (never noticed that before)
    Looks like all the 'parallel' barrels are so stamped then! - I learn something every day!
    So it looks as though your Mk2 is a standard one and may well have not been tampered with - one way to check is the muzzle end of the barrel, as the standard Mk2 barrel will have the .22 cal size bore, all later barrels featured the larger size muzzle opening which opens up the end of the barrel a few inches.. (sound moderation/air stripper?)

ASM

Thumbs up

Thank you for the verification Martin. He will be pleased to know he has the correct barrel.
    When I saw it today the wording on the barrel was different to my image of the description he gave me.
    It has been slightly butchered by a previous owner in that the receiver has been ground to accommodate a scope. One grinding V must be very nearly through the cylinder wall
    It shoots very well though and the stock has some nice tigering(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Yes indeed, Martin is right!
    I have just pulled my Mk2 from the rear of my Gun cupboard (it's one I aquired some time ago and I havent looked at it for over a year! ) and lo and behold - it has the same barrel stampings on the top of the barrel as my Mk4 and later Mks have. (never noticed that before) Looks like all the 'parallel' barrels are so stamped then! - I learn something every day!
    So it looks as though your Mk2 is a standard one and may well have not been tampered with - one way to check is the muzzle end of the barrel, as the standard Mk2 barrel will have the .22 cal size bore, all later barrels featured the larger size muzzle opening which opens up the end of the barrel a few inches.. (sound moderation/air stripper?) ASM
    Thanks airsporterman. I did the same thing looking for my MK6 yesterday. As luck would have it, it was the least accessible
    Any of the images of MK2's I came upon were clean barrels so maybe the markings had been polished out of them or they were very early MK2's
    My friends example has the very obvious rifling with the crowned muzzle.
    The later models you mention with the muzzle opening ( Like BSA Meteor?). Are the front sight screwed on as my MK6 is as opposed to braised on as the MK1 and 2 are?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-03-2015 at 10:13 AM.

As far as I am aware, the earlier Mk1 front sights were 'dovetailed' in position on the barrel (like the rear sights on the Mk1 & 2)
    I don't know much about the Mk3 as there were few made and I have only seen poor pictures of one - a kind of 'Hybrid' rifle with a Mk2 type action in a Mk4 type stock with rubber 'recoil' vent pad and square shaped forend. (some people call them 'ugly' Airsporters, however, that's a individual choice)
    As you say, the Mk4 rifles onwards had the foresight ramp screwed to the front of the barrel.

ASM

Hi

I have a mk2 action that was shoe horned ion to a mk5/6 stock!! It still hasd the old screw holes that the later action needed!!

Pic 1

Pic2

Not sure what the first number is supposed to be but the prefix is GD..

Pic 3

I was going to source a replacement stock and redo the action but the chap went to the trouble of fitting the action in to the later stock so I left it

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi I have a mk2 action that was shoe horned ion to a mk5/6 stock!! It still hasd the old screw holes that the later action needed!! Not sure what the first number is supposed to be but the prefix is GD.. I was going to source a replacement stock and redo the action but the chap went to the trouble of fitting the action in to the later stock so I left it John
    Hi John, you do such admirable work on your restorations, do you think you will be able to leave it as it is?
    From my perspective the std Airsporter stocks didn't get any more attractive after the MK2. Perhaps the designers with imagination and flair were 'retired' and replaced with accountants
    I have a MK6 and the fore end is one of the least inspirational pieces of wood I can remember; a length of 3 x 2 would look as good
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-03-2015 at 07:25 PM.