Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy load !

Noisy load !

After the bad weather I finally got out to try my new 35gr V-Max bullets , loaded over Lilgun. I used a few previously loaded rounds to warm the barrel. These were loaded with H110 powder.

What was noticable was the difference in noise level between the two powders, the Lilgun having a distictly louder and deeper blast than the H110.

Loads were: H110 - 10.6gr.
    Lilgun - 12.2gr to 13gr.
    Both do about the same speed.

Anyone else noticed the same?

guessing its slightly different burn rates ?
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Hornet loads

I am still using 8gns of Vit N110 over an H & N 45gn bullet.....half inch groups at 50m and sub inch at 100m, depending on the wind conditions..doing about 2000fps. Pushing up to 8.8 gns reduced accuracy. Seems a pretty loud crack whatever I use! Just found another load online...11gns of 3031 over 45gn bullet...I will try this.

amc577

I hadn't wanted to appear a wuss, but both my previous Hornet & current K unmodded are far louder than I remember my SA80 being.

Have only used lil gun but it does bark even with the DM80 on!
    Thanks for looking

My CZ has a short barrel (16 1/2") so is likely to be a little louder than a standard barrel, it was just the difference in powders I noticed.

angrybear - if I shoot it with the mod off it takes the bark of the trees!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    My CZ has a short barrel (16 1/2") so is likely to be a little louder than a standard barrel, it was just the difference in powders I noticed.

angrybear - if I shoot it with the mod off it takes the bark of the trees!!
    Out of interest what speed are you getting with 13gr of lil gun out of you short barrel? Mine is giving 3040 fps with a standard barrel with 35gr v-max over 12.9 gr in frontier brass?
    Thanks for looking

For my 35 gr vmax i use 12.3 grain of lil gun 1 hole groups at 50 yds .When i tried 12 gr the group opened up a little.While testing 12.3 gr the group was that good i shot one to the side of the hole to make sure they weren't going anywhere else apart from the same hole because i couldn't see poi through my scope because of recoil.
    LG400 .177 FX IMPACT MK3 .22 ,VULCAN2. 22
    HW98. 177.WOLVERINE R.177.
    .HW44 .22.HW97 .177.

its to do with the gas volume exiting the barrel. more gas = bigger bang.
    when the gas exits it is still makes the bang because the projectile and gas exceed some subsonic limit and break the sound barrier.

my experience with Subsonic ammunition (shotgun) has proven that even, slow 1000fps loads can still be loud if a huge volume of gas is behind the projectile. the silencer for shotguns bleed off gas volume so the residual gas is not going to break the sound barrier. with some bad selection of components ie powder, i`m lead to believe this is the case in CF too.

now when i design subsonic ammunition i have a series of goals, sub 18grains of powder, (normal powder) or very limited amounts of very fast burning powder. the largest shotweight for that powder and to a certain extent sub 1000fps at 2.5M, and last but not least a good belt of pressure, clean that load right up.

hodgdons longshot is supposed to be very loud, even 30+graind in 12gauge 32gram lead load, way louder than the vectan AS 32g loads....
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Out of interest what speed are you getting with 13gr of lil gun out of you short barrel? Mine is giving 3040 fps with a standard barrel with 35gr v-max over 12.9 gr in frontier brass?
    I'll get my chrono back from the guy I loaned it to and give them a test for speed.

I've just loaded another 25 with 12.6gr. Lilgun so I'll try them tomorrow. I'm keen to find out how well they group at 150 yards. If the weather is good I'll make some 13gr's for Sunday.

cookoff - there is more to this reloading than meets the eye ! H110 and Lilgun are not far off being the same burn speed, Lilgun is much bulkier and produces a lot less chamber pressures than H110 - you'd think more pressure might give a bigger bang - but no!

It's not just the amount of powder either, I had some cast bullets loaded with only 9gr. Lilgun and the sound was deeper than 10.6gr H110.

Not that this makes a lot of practical difference, I was just interested - I suppose it equates to my habit of taking things to bits to see how they work !

Despite the wind I tried my new loads today at 150 yards - not too bad ! The lighter 35gr bullets are a little more affected by the wind than the 40gr.
    The 40gr's from which I have removed the tips, loaded with 10.6gr H110, performed the best. I'll try differing loads of Lilgun next.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/23xun0hfkr...20001.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwv9btvyni...20002.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz79bbnl1l...20003.jpg?dl=0

I have you tried up nearer 13gr with the lil' gun? may tighten the group up to nearer the H110
    Thanks for looking

I only tried three rounds, there was not much in it at 50 yards, plus I can't get 13gr into my Hornady cases and I only have a few Remington. The weather is supposed to be getting better so I might get a bit more done soon.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyddwv2s2o...204th.jpg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    cookoff - there is more to this reloading than meets the eye ! H110 and Lilgun are not far off being the same burn speed, Lilgun is much bulkier and produces a lot less chamber pressures than H110 - you'd think more pressure might give a bigger bang - but no!

It's not just the amount of powder either, I had some cast bullets loaded with only 9gr. Lilgun and the sound was deeper than 10.6gr H110.

Not that this makes a lot of practical difference, I was just interested - I suppose it equates to my habit of taking things to bits to see how they work !
    i think i know that cookoff means, 2 powders but one gives off more gas during a slower burn so gives the same or lower pressures as the bullet is already part way down the barrel
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php