Thread: Pointed Pellets...

Question Pointed Pellets...

Does anyone on here use them? Have any of the various brands available been accurate in anything or are they simply the raw material for casting fishing weights?

Pointed pellets

I tried hard several times to zero my rifles with pointed pellets but after using many different brands just found
    out they don't group very well.
    Only thing is I only use springers .
    Hope they belong as a diet to other rifles.

Cheers Peter.

Can't coment on accuracy but most of the mdon't do what is advertised on the tin. They don't penetrate any better than domed pellets and some are worse. Except BSA storm which penetrate deeper in soap.

Pete (flatrajectory) used to use superpoint in .22 at our HFT club to deadly effect, though the more I shoot with him the more I think he has telekinetic powers over anything lead based

used to shoot H&N pointed .22 in my HW80 got good groups and always filled the food bill .
    They are not a supper sharp point but they used to hit the mark with a clout.

I've not had much success with them, they group OK at short range but are hopeless at anything over 25yds (in .22 anyway).
    If you treat them the same as wadcutters you'll probably be alright.
    Just stick with domes

If you wanted to try some pointed pellets Crossman Pointed might be worth a try as they were quite good in my Hatsam 60s if i remember correctly.I would class these as semi pointed compared to some other pointed pellets and you can get them in tins of 250 for about £3.50

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 2 View Post
    If you wanted to try some pointed pellets Crossman Pointed might be worth a try as they were quite good in my Hatsam 60s if i remember correctly.I would class these as semi pointed compared to some other pointed pellets and you can get them in tins of 250 for about £3.50
    My pal uses these in his .22 HW80 and the accuracy is superb. However, I've never encountered a spire point that flies true - not to r/n standards anyway...

Waste of time, throw a stone as more accurate!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

i used to use rws superpoints in my old stealth,never had a problem,good accuracy.

cheers al
    tench regged tac scorpion se .177

I liked superpoints in my ratcatcher. They are pretty soft so work well with low powered guns.

I found pointed pellets to be a bit unreliable, I assumed because the point is suceptible to minor damage that I hadn't noticed. I was getting slightly wider groups with several flyers compared to the original Wasp's I was using at the time. I thought the penetration was better, but admittedly I wasn't using ballistic gel or soap to asses this scientifically - they just seemed to go in further.

This was back in the '90's, maybe I should revisit the subject, especially as there are so many types out there with polymer tips nowadays.
    The thing is I don't really need any of the advantages of better penetration - it's the last thing I want for shooting rats in barns, & for everything else roundheads are fine. It's still fun to tinker though...

I only ever 'properly' zeroed the old 'Hustler' pointed pellets. They weren't terribly consistent over a 25 yard range - Certainly not when compared to the more 'traditional' round head pellets...

But they're good for plinking at shorter range. I've been using them in an Umarex 1911 and find them easier to load into the fiddly wee magazines.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys

pointed pellets

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Does anyone on here use them? Have any of the various brands available been accurate in anything or are they simply the raw material for casting fishing weights?
    i was recently given a tin of the pointed smk pellets .22 with the black
    teflon coating.my expectations were low,but in my hw 99 worked rather well.
    not as accurate as superdomes, but all grouped well at 20yd.i believe they
    are cheap as well!.shaun.

My old FWB 127 used to love RWS Superpoints. Only initially tried them as the old Wasps were tight in the 5.5mm 127 barrel.

Once Superdomes became available (and then FTT), these got the nod over anything else.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!