Thread: Has anyone got a Crosman 2240 and what are your views

Has anyone got a Crosman 2240 and what are your views

Hello all

I have been looking at different pistols but there are a lot of makes and the price varies according to quality and what they do and i was thinking of a Webley Alecto as in my first thread but after doing more reading i see there are others available like the CP-1 and the Crosman 2240.

I am not sure which would be the better C02, spring or recoil-less and i really do not want to spend to much as i am not sure how much time i would have as work pattens dictate free time.

I have looked at the crosman 2240 as there is not a great deal of initial outlay and i am under the impression it can be easily stripped down but i am not sure of the upgrades they talk about and whether it would meet my needs and i know i may possibly need a little scope to assist me.

I wondered if anyone has got a Crosman 2240 and what are your views and i appreciate any comments of other similar pistols that may be of interest to me to consider.

Thanks Dave
    Last edited by davethepitch; 05-03-2015 at 04:09 PM.

2240s are accurate, powerful and reliable.
    Out of the box the trigger is crap, the sights are poor and the grips are plastic.
    Polish the trigger sears and put a set of wood grips on and you're getting there.
    Replace the plastic breach with a steel one, which also allows the fitment of a decent micrometer adjustable rearsight and that improves things.
    Put a silencer adaptor on and they're virtually silent.
    As you say, it's not a lot of outlay to begin with but to get it something like you'll end up spending more than the initial purchase price of the gun - that's not necessarily a problem and for many it's a definate plus as it becomes a hobby, modding and tuning.
    I've been down that road and enjoyed it but these days I'm more time poor than cash poor so I sold up and bought a Brocock GP which doesn't need any modding....

I had an Alecto in the past and it is a superb pistol, both powerful and accurate. I have also just purchased a 2240 which I can see is going to end up costing a lot in upgrades but will probably never be as good as the Alecto but I will have a lot of fun and learn a certain amount about guns in the process.

Costs so far

Pistol £85
    Silencer £38
    Breech £49
    Barrel £27

Then we add in new trigger, springs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    2240s are accurate, powerful and reliable.
    Out of the box the trigger is crap, the sights are poor and the grips are plastic.
    Polish the trigger sears and put a set of wood grips on and you're getting there.
    Replace the plastic breach with a steel one, which also allows the fitment of a decent micrometer adjustable rearsight and that improves things.
    Do these come up for sale often possibly with the upgrades.

Dave

2240s are without doubt the best value air pistol around, until you start modding them!

Not sure on sales for modded pistols, if I were to sell any of mine I would strip the mods off and sell separately.

My scoped 2240 cost about £220 to put together, my 2250 is close to the £500 mark (not much of the original gun left!).

Buy new for £75-£80 and then save up for additions when you can. Lightening and cleaning up the trigger and hammer are a good (free) place to start while you save though.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I am in no rush so I will see what comes along and maybe a 2240 with a steel breach may come up for sale somewhere.

Dave

Going with the general feel above, yes, it's a great value pistol. Plenty of punch. Dead easy to work on. Trigger is usable, but better once fettled.

Also consider the 1377 pump-up. Self-contained and very accurate. I had a very quick glance on the Crosman site last night and it looks like they have done a mild update? Different pump handle and front band?

Both benefit from the steel breech enabling fitment of a proper rear sight or optics.

Have a look on the SD Custom Design and G-Mac websites for an idea of parts / goodies available.

Also if you google up "Crosman 2240 / 1377 tuning" the amount of information out there now is mind-boggling.

Love these little Crosmans. They punch well above their price point in terms of performance and fun factor (even better if we could buy at US prices!! )

Enjoy!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

crossman

hi yes the crossman is good gun go for it you will not be disappointed good shootings