Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus pellets???

Prometheus pellets???

I've looked at these and, I get the idea behind them but, I've read some bad reviews. Are they ever any good? Better in .22, .177, springer, pcp? Or just one to be avoided altogether?

I'm new to this and, every day is a school day.

All of the above.

They're crap. Avoid.

Just stick to good quality lead pellet
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Have been bought out by h&n so I hear.
    I would expect quality to improve if that's the case
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

The Defiant .177 4.52 pellets shot very well out of my BSA Superstar springer. Out to 45 yds they grouped as well as I or the gun could shoot - mostly!

At 40 yds I could frequently get sub 1" 5 shot groups - but about 1 in 20 shots was a flyer.

Not too shoddy in comparison with most of the alternative diablo pellets but I found Falcon Accuracy plus gave less flyers but were affected more by wind.

Would have been happy to stick with Defiant but I now use JSB diablo express 4.52, which work well in my HW99 and my AA s400 pcp.

Happy to have one pellet type that works well in my main guns. All the guns are set to about 11.3 ft-lb, so the JSB pellets will have the trajectory I have got used to.

secretagentmole Guest
    The Defiant 4.52 worked superbly in my Daystate X2. Grouped at under a penny in diameter (well under) at 35 metres!

So it depends what Defiants you mean!

Promethearse - I wouldn't put them through my Hoover!
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

All pellets perform differently in different barrels, even two identical ones, that's why we all have drawers full of half tins in the search for the ultimate pellet, and even when we find one that suits we still keep trying, it's what we do, we can't help ourselves, perhaps a pellet exchange section could be formed, we could exchange the half tins with each other, that would save a few bob, get some of the drawers empty making room for more pistols.

Are they the plastic ones with a zinc head? utter rubbish.

They are the plastic ones with the zinc tops. The h&n thing sounds interesting. I may give it a few weeks and try some at targets (knowing that they may well be in in the bin on the same day).

Those Defiant pellets look quite interesting, I might give them a whirl.

Thanks for the replies.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    All pellets perform differently in different barrels, even two identical ones, that's why we all have drawers full of half tins in the search for the ultimate pellet, and even when we find one that suits we still keep trying, it's what we do, we can't help ourselves, perhaps a pellet exchange section could be formed, we could exchange the half tins with each other, that would save a few bob, get some of the drawers empty making room for more pistols.
    I like that idea. I haven't been back to the sport for very long at all and I've already got 7 different tins.

All of the above.

I have never been tempted, even when first launched (early 80s?).
    Even back then, there were very mixed reports.
    Can't remember what the testers said re barrel fouling - I could be very wrong here but I'd guess you'd be having to clean the barrel on a regular basis??

Being a bit of a dinosaur anyway, and with the huge choice of quality lead pellets we have available to us these days, which perform superbly, I can't see me ever giving them a try.

Can't remember now, and I don't look, but I bet they're still very expensive?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

They're not cheap, for the tiny amount that you get. I spoke to a mate who said that they can't follow the rifling on the barrel properly because they've plastic, thus, inaccurate.

I've been seeing a lot of weird and wonderful pellets on google - darts, glow in the dark, funny pointy things. To be honest, they're starting to look like a load of cobblers. I reckon I'm going to stick with good old fashioned lead domes - it seems to be the general consensus and, I'm grouping well with them.

All of the above.

secretagentmole Guest

Once again Ignorance Strikes!

There is more than one type Prometheus. You have the plastic clad ones but also all metal ones.

The all metal ones - Defiants which I believe have lead in the alloy and Dynamics which I believe are lead free - are very accurate in the right barrel. My X2 would put 10 into a target less than the size of a metric half penny (17mm) at 35 metres. They are a superb hunting pellet in the right gun!

The plastic clad ones (Paragon and Prometheus) are the subject of much debate with some claiming superb accuracy and results and others claiming quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I've looked at these and, I get the idea behind them but, I've read some bad reviews. Are they ever any good? Better in .22, .177, springer, pcp? Or just one to be avoided altogether?

I'm new to this and, every day is a school day.
    ahhh! Did you mean those rubbish two part things! Thought they had been buried decades ago!

Prometheus market several pellets and the Defiant type can work very well out of some barrels. Maybe the new owner will market them as just Defiant?