Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus pellets???

I did mean the 2 part ones - the ones that I have seen have a yellow plastic Body with a metal tip.

I'm thinking that I'll avoid those but, give the rest of their range a look. I must admit that I didn't realise they did a whole range.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I did mean the 2 part ones - the ones that I have seen have a yellow plastic Body with a metal tip.
    Avoid like the plague, they will leave your barrel full of plastic spaghetti. Do not use in a choked barrel. Dig a hole in your garden and bury them.....

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The single part ones work very well in my guns, to the point where they are in fact the most accurate pellets I've tried to date through my Crosman 2250XL and through my S200 they group very similarly to the most accurate lead pellets (Falcon Accuracy+) all the way out to 50 yrds.

I've also just bought some of the 5.6mm Defiants for obsolete guns on the back of some very positive reviews...

They were originally called Silver Jet 'Mirral' advertised in Guns Review ( pre AGW , pre 1977)

They also did feature as a free gift on the cover of a 1989 issue of AGW falling foul of the Firearms Act and the copies for September (I Think) were withdrawn as pellets had to be sold to those over 17 then even though you could have a rifle as a gift at 14.

I have two issues for that month, one with .22 Prometheus in a small bag and the other without the free gift.

As a pellet they are Cr*p.

Stick to good quality lead pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Are they the plastic ones with a zinc head? utter rubbish.
    They definitely are plastic sleeved, but the half box I have in the drawer certainly don't look like zinc, I would have put my money on them being stainless steel - looks far too shiny for zinc?

I'll try and photograph one close up for those (fortunate!) enough not to have seen them!

Mark
    Laminate stock HW100KT .177, HW100KT .22, HW95K luxus .22, BSA Meteor Mk3 .22, SMK Mod 12 .177, MAS 0.07 .177 BB CO2, Gamo P-23 CO2

Quote Originally Posted by HW100/90 View Post
    They definitely are plastic sleeved, but the half box I have in the drawer certainly don't look like zinc, I would have put my money on them being stainless steel - looks far too shiny for zinc?

I'll try and photograph one close up for those (fortunate!) enough not to have seen them!

Mark
    The original ones had a polished Steel Head - clear plastic skirt in .22 then the .177 had black plastic skirt.

Zinc heads came later when Hugh Earl of Pax airguns got involved

I would have put my money on them being stainless steel - looks far too shiny for zinc?
    I think you will find that the metal component is tin, (Latin: stannum - chemical symbol: Sn).....

Yep the originals had a steel head and a nylon/plastic body,I tried them,that was years ago and found they were quite good for cleaning the barrel(removing lead build up or gunge) but that was about it
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 06-03-2015 at 02:09 PM.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I've looked at these and, I get the idea behind them but, I've read some bad reviews. Are they ever any good? Better in .22, .177, springer, pcp? Or just one to be avoided altogether?

I'm new to this and, every day is a school day.
    ive tried allsorts of these plastic skirted pellets from the 80s to present,every time ive
    tried them in allsorts of guns, ive come to the conclusion that i would be better off using
    the ammo in my catapult. not very accurate.would say avoid.

For the record, I'm referring to the crappy, plastic ones.

I have a tub of 20 year old ones somewhere...

They look the part I tired them years back in a few different guns and none of them liked them I can remember putting some a sharps some of them pushed the end off when you shut the bolt they was also some other ones out at the time that came in two parts they had copper heads and a black skirt you had a little pen thing to put them together can't remember what they were called? they were she-height as well

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    that came in two parts they had copper heads and a black skirt you had a little pen thing to put them together can't remember what they were called?
    Sussex Sabo.....

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Sussex Sabo.....
    I remember those. I must have been about 15. I spent all my spar change on a packet and wondered why I couldn't hit a tin can at 25 yards.

They looked the business though and had a little loading tool with them as I remember

Quote Originally Posted by BSFNUT View Post
    The original ones had a polished Steel Head - clear plastic skirt in .22 then the .177 had black plastic skirt.

Zinc heads came later when Hugh Earl of Pax airguns got involved
    Yes I remember them, they had a good wright up in the mags, prompted some opportunitic MP to claom airgunners had access to "armour-piercing" pellets etc bastard poloticians still are opportunistic and having tried these old ones in the past I would think long and hard before doing it again

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys

Mark
    the really early promethius that had the clear skirt and were all numbered on each skirt from 1 to 100
    and came in the black box in .22 were steel,as remember picking them up after a spill with a big magnet.
    they were later changed to zinc or something non magnetic.