Thread: Pay as you go ranges

Pay as you go ranges

Hi all
    Just wondering if anybody knew of any pay as you go ranges where I could go with my air rifle and as a bonus a place that would accept rim fire as well. Already a member of a club but would like to take my lad along and I have him on different days to what the club is open. Preferably with in a sensible drive of Chippenham Wiltshire where I live and not costing the earth.
    Already go along to Wiltshire shooting centre (Devizes) every now and then but if im honest not really a fan of their electronic scoring system. Old fashioned I guess and prefer to put holes in paper or knock spinners.
    Thank you in advance
    Craig

PS anybody know when Wiltshire shooting centre are likely to have their second range up and running?.

Quote Originally Posted by betuaintgotthis View Post
    Hi all
    Just wondering if anybody knew of any pay as you go ranges where I could go with my air rifle and as a bonus a place that would accept rim fire as well. Already a member of a club but would like to take my lad along and I have him on different days to what the club is open. Preferably with in a sensible drive of Chippenham Wiltshire where I live and not costing the earth.
    Already go along to Wiltshire shooting centre (Devizes) every now and then but if im honest not really a fan of their electronic scoring system. Old fashioned I guess and prefer to put holes in paper or knock spinners.
    Thank you in advance
    Craig

PS anybody know when Wiltshire shooting centre are likely to have their second range up and running?.

Reading your post just reminds me of how pathetic the ranges are in the UK nothing but boring spinners and paper targets.It needs someone with a bit of proper thinking of how to do the job properly and make it a fun thing to do like moving knock downs and create a real something to look forward experience like these new crazy golf places that are popping up.I would be happy to pay more for a bit of something different.

BILL50

Moving targets makes me think of the seaside amusements but it certainly would be an entertaining experience. In some respects more realistic as well after all when was the last time you saw your quarry sat there patiently waiting for you to get in to a perfect position, calculate range and take your shot.

Is your lad a member of the club too?

The main problem is most ranges are run by clubs and legally they can't offer day membership. You must be a member of the club (or another HO registered club) to shoot at them.

There are very few pay and shoot places in the UK. There are a couple of tunnel ranges, Ministerly in Shropshire and the two fullbore ranges in wales run by WMS and Orion.

I only know of a few clubs that let other clubs shoot on their range and normally its a club to club agreement and not a general thing.

To be a range the owner must have 'suitable' insurance.

I'm not sure what the legal position is of a person with target only FAC letting another person shoot their rifle outside of a club. The law seems to expect people to be either a member of a club or have hunting on their FAC (who can let others over 17 shoot their rifle under supervision where they have permission for both of them to shoot).

I believe there's a field target club near Wroughton that has a practice range also that meets on Sundays and I think it's open to non members.I think it's called Barbury Field Target Club.Not far from J16 M4.
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 06-03-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Moving targets makes me think of the seaside amusements but it certainly would be an entertaining experience. In some respects more realistic as well after all when was the last time you saw your quarry sat there patiently waiting for you to get in to a perfect position, calculate range and take your shot.
    I'm afraid that is exactly what you should be doing - otherwise you may as well apply for your shotgun licence.

Wasn't really suggesting taking pop shots at live quarry just saying the time frame could be a lot smaller than some would like (me included).
    Sadly does seem like a lack of places we can just turn up to. Shame seems that there are loads of places I can just turn up to with the shotgun and spend the morning but anything with a rifled barrel regardless of power appears to be a tricky subject.

Wasn't really suggesting taking pop shots at live quarry just saying the time frame could be a lot smaller than some would like (me included).
    Sadly does seem like a lack of places we can just turn up to. Shame seems that there are loads of places I can just turn up to with the shotgun and spend the morning but anything with a rifled barrel regardless of power appears to be a tricky subject.
    Shotgun clubs can allow day membership. Rifle clubs can't.

Another example of our stupid firearms laws that seem set on preventing the increase in the number of rifle shooters. Whilst recently in Nashville there were 5 ranges in the city and 2 within an hours drive that would allow you to turn up and shoot pistols, rifles and machine guns. City population less than Leeds.

Have you tried pains shooting ground off the a303 near Andover.

You can either join and pay reduced rates or shoot as a non member, they had a covered firing point and then a range of spinners, knockdowns, resetting tgts.

Also got a small shop.

AA S410K .22, BSA Supersport .22, HW40 .177, Umarex Berretta 92fs .177 Webley Junior .177 (1954)

Thank you for your replies.
    My lad is not a member of the club I attend as he is under 18 and although I can shoot on my clubs range any time it can only be done if two adults are there. During club days he is with his mother.
    Looked in to Barbury FTC and again seems they are open Sundays where he will be with his mother. Lains shooting school is a possible, little further than preferred but do able. Appears to be open at times I could attend to which is excellent.