Thread: Base material in gun cabinet.

Base material in gun cabinet.

The weight of the rifles pressing down over time can distort the shape of the rubber butt pad.

I wondered if any members place special material in the bottom of their cabinets to avoid this.

I've considered a cheap bolster, a short run of polypropylene pipe insulation, and even a small pillow.

The pipe insulation is looking like the cheapest and most practical route at the moment.

Anyone have any interesting ideas?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I just have normal foam in the bottom of mine. Seems to do the job.

2x1 nominal wooden batten to which I have stapled rexine-covered foam, i.e. I have upholstered this as one would a chair "seat". I went to the trouble of chamfering the top corners of the batten just to make sure. Bonus, even hard wood butted guns don't slip off a hard surface either.

Yes it is essential to do this otherwise your butt pad will be permanently deformed.

Pipe insulation albeit less pretty (may not matter) is a brilliant idea too get some for 22mm pipe perhaps? But will it give enough lift (when under the weight of the gun) to keep the toe (?) of the buttpad clear of the "ground" after some time has passed? Just wondering aloud.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Cut up and lined my cabinet with this.
    http://www./itm/BENTLEY-EXPLORER-CLO...item5670dd4617

p.s. Isn't it time we scrapped the (IMO) stupid rule on the bay.

I chopped up some junk excercise mats, a bit like these: http://www.foamsolutionsuk.co.uk/bla...-x6mm-78-p.asp

I cut them to size & secured them with spray on carpet glue.

Piece of that dense foam, close cell i think it's called,should do the trick Arthur or what about a piece of polystyrene sheet.

Thanks for the replies.

Some good ideas.

As for the pipe insulation, my idea was to put piece of wooden dowel inside it to make it a little more rigid.
    Arthur

Having had one shotgun stock softened by too much oiling when I were a young'un, I store both my firearms and shotguns muzzle down, and I scrounged a plastic backed absorbant sheet to rest the muzzles on. Even though I make a point of minimal oiling etc after cleaning, I am surprised over the year how much oil has soaked into the fabric.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

Went for the pipe insulation and dowel from Homebase in the end and it works very well.
    Arthur