Thread: Seeking a bit of info about my BSA Standard

Seeking a bit of info about my BSA Standard

Gentlemen, I wonder if anyone can help me with a bit of information about my BSA Standard .22, s.n. S41056?
    I understood from a previous thread I came across on here that one can obtain the (precise?) date of manufacture from Mr Knibbs' business. However it's now more than two weeks since I emailed my query to them and haven't heard back. Do these things take time or do you think I should try again?
    Another thing I'm curious about on this fine old rifle is a peep sight which came mounted on the stock, just behind the (3 hole) trigger block. It has elevation adjustment, but no windage other than by slackening the rear screw & moving the entire sight. The base has the stacked arms on the left hand side & a 2 on the right. My efforts at identifying it have come up with either a Model 21A or 22 aperture sight. Can anyone say which it is, please? On looking through the aperture I find the rear sight occupies most of the field of view, whereas, on my Mk2 Service I get a clear view of the front sight.
    One more thing - which (.22) pellets have you chaps found to be best for the old BSA rifles?
    Looking forward to your expert opinions.
    Thank you. Glyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    Gentlemen, I wonder if anyone can help me with a bit of information about my BSA Standard .22, s.n. S41056?
    I understood from a previous thread I came across on here that one can obtain the (precise?) date of manufacture from Mr Knibbs' business. However it's now more than two weeks since I emailed my query to them and haven't heard back. Do these things take time or do you think I should try again?
    Another thing I'm curious about on this fine old rifle is a peep sight which came mounted on the stock, just behind the (3 hole) trigger block. It has elevation adjustment, but no windage other than by slackening the rear screw & moving the entire sight. The base has the stacked arms on the left hand side & a 2 on the right. My efforts at identifying it have come up with either a Model 21A or 22 aperture sight. Can anyone say which it is, please? On looking through the aperture I find the rear sight occupies most of the field of view, whereas, on my Mk2 Service I get a clear view of the front sight.
    One more thing - which (.22) pellets have you chaps found to be best for the old BSA rifles?
    Looking forward to your expert opinions.
    Thank you. Glyn
    Hi Glyn,

The sight is the BSA No 22 and works best if you remove the backsight blade so that it does not obscure the sight picture. I tend to use Hobbies or FTT pellets in No2 Standards and both work very well. Mr Knibbs' business, the Countrystore holds the original BSA factory ledgers and can tell you the date your rifle left the factory but there is a charge for this service, which I believe goes to a local charity. Best to telephone the Countrystore and ask for Mark Knibbs as John retired some time ago.

Kind regards,

John

I understood from a previous thread I came across on here that one can obtain the (precise?) date of manufacture...
    Thank you. Glyn
    Towards the end of 1928. Many rifles made that year.

Does the peep sight fold forward? Sounds like a model 22 aperture sight (2 screw fitting).
    Last edited by radiofan; 06-03-2015 at 04:54 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Glyn,

The sight is the BSA No 22 and works best if you remove the backsight blade so that it does not obscure the sight picture. I tend to use Hobbies or FTT pellets in No2 Standards and both work very well. Mr Knibbs' business, the Countrystore holds the original BSA factory ledgers and can tell you the date your rifle left the factory but there is a charge for this service, which I believe goes to a local charity. Best to telephone the Countrystore and ask for Mark Knibbs as John retired some time ago.

Kind regards,

John
    ^^^^^ WOT HE SAID, ie. nothing much you can add to this answer, except old 5.6 wasps (tins MUST have Eley on NOT Bisley) are very good if you can find them. They do pop up at auction but normally sell for £10 upwards a tin. The Defiant vintage pellets can also go well in these, but always best to try all options as barrels can vary.

Sound like a nice gun, any chance of a photo?

ATB, Ed

Hello Chaps, Many thanks for the information from your vast database of knowledge.
    The peep sight does fold forwards & is held in its recess cut into the stock by a couple of screws. Unfortunate if the way to use it involves removing the blade from the rear sight in order to see the front sight properly. On my Mighty Service Rifle I have the aperture sight set for about 8 yards and the rear,open sight for further away. I don't know if I should use them like that or the other way round, but it seems to work that way. This old girl is so accurate and a joy to use.
    So she was made in 1928? That makes her 10 years older than me. I think I'll give Mark Knibbs a call next week & see if I can find out a bit more from his records. By the way, I bought J.K.'s very interesting book the other week and now seem to have this overwhelming urge to give a caring home to some of the early L.J.s & BSAs described in the book.
    Pellets - I'll get hold of a selection of 5.6 pellets, as suggested, & give them a try. At present I'm working my way through quite a large number of tins of H & N FTT 5.5 and JSB Diablo Exact 5.5 which I acquired at a very favourable price from someone who'd changed over to the girly calibre for FT purposes. They seem to work, but are rather loose in the loading tap. I wonder if I could increase their skirt diameter somehow?
    Sorry, Ed, I can't oblige with a photo at present.
    Once again, thank you everyone for your help.
    ATB Glyn

Hi Glyn,

It may just be possible your stock's pistol grip may be of a rounded profile with 'BSA' impressed into the chequering. If so, you have a 'Transitional' type of stock, which was not made for long. It is possible the pistol grip is of the later squarer profile, also with 'BSA' impressed into the stock. If you can confirm which style you have, I may be able to roughly date your rifle to the nearest year.

Kind regards,

John