Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is brand snobbery a new phenominon

is brand snobbery a new phenominon

just put a thread on general asking this very question, many knocking this new pistol from Gammo which has Bear Grills branding. I cant see the problem myself if it means youngsters gett in to our sport. So what do you think, is brand snobbery a recent thing Crossmann used sports stars of the day to advertise there products in the 50,s/ 60,s and there highley sought after has you know. So maybe stir the "kids" up on general, what do you all in the " gentlemans corner " think

Brand snobbery

Hi mate, I think it has been around since time immemorial, it's a connection between personal preference/taste(good or bad) and selling techniques/cost of production.
    As you say with Crossman it can be a good thing in years to come, but there again its down to the customers personal taste.
    It will go on for millennia!!!!!!!!
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by The armourer View Post
    Hi mate, I think it has been around since time immemorial, it's a connection between personal preference/taste(good or bad) and selling techniques/cost of production.
    As you say with Crossman it can be a good thing in years to come, but there again its down to the customers personal taste.
    It will go on for millennia!!!!!!!!
    So maybe our ancestor Ugg had a better stone axe than his mate grugg, then Uschi turnded up with a copper axe and really put the wolf amongst the wild sheep

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    So maybe our ancestor Ugg had a better stone axe than his mate grugg, then Uschi turnded up with a copper axe and really put the wolf amongst the wild sheep
    Surely thats a question for BTDT. (And dont call me Shirley ) After all, he chopped wood for Noahs ark.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 10-03-2015 at 10:17 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Surely thats a question for BTDT. (And dont call me Shirley ) After all, he chopped wood for Noahs ark.

ATB
    Ian
    I hear you stood and watched

I think part of the problem is that we are all more aware of how companies work with respect to marketing and are a lot more cynical about it these days.
    Add to the fact that some of the 'names' are celebrities but not in the "celebrated for their achievements" meaning of the word, and it can all come across a bit naff...
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Quote Originally Posted by boozybloke View Post
    I think part of the problem is that we are all more aware of how companies work with respect to marketing and are a lot more cynical about it these days.
    Add to the fact that some of the 'names' are celebrities but not in the "celebrated for their achievements" meaning of the word, and it can all come across a bit naff...
    agree.

So maybe our ancestor Ugg had a better stone axe than his mate grugg
    They certainly made more desirable boots.

Badges

Badges
    It seems that when I was a kid there was good quality well-made stuff and the other, most people could tell what was well made and what was less well made. You made your mind up and bought what you could afford.
    Now most people will buy Shoddy old tat because it’s got the “right badge” on.
    There again I’m just a grumpy old sod.
    Rob
    PS: I think I’m turning into my old granddad!

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    They certainly made more desirable boots.
    Yes my late missis lovded the bloody things along with hand bags and shoes how many bloody shoes and boots dose a girl need

Quote Originally Posted by treebeard View Post
    Badges
    It seems that when I was a kid there was good quality well-made stuff and the other, most people could tell what was well made and what was less well made. You made your mind up and bought what you could afford.
    Now most people will buy Shoddy old tat because it’s got the “right badge” on.
    There again I’m just a grumpy old sod.
    Rob
    PS: I think I’m turning into my old granddad!
    No I agree, my dad worked double and treble shifts in the local pit to get my mum a walnut bed room set, my sister still has it, quallity made product from when we used to make evreything here. My 1965 Bsa Airsporter 2 still dose its job admirably.

I hear you stood and watched
    From my cot.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

From my cot.
    Are you still snobbish about Relum Tornado air rifles and Webley spring powered air pistols ?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Are you still snobbish about Relum Tornado air rifles and Webley spring powered air pistols ?
    I think its a myth, he loves the Relum Tornado really.

From my cot.
    Its ok Ij my son reckons I was suppervising cheekey "little" begger, (acually 5 feet 11 inches and only 16) he inherited his late mums good looks, long legs and her cutting sense oh humour