Thread: Mid 60's Webley Mk3 scope mount question?

Mid 60's Webley Mk3 scope mount question?

I love my old Webley's, Airsporters & the like. But recently, despite a change of specs/prescription update, find it increasingly difficult to focus using open sights on my 20 yard range.
    I can't seem to get the front, rear & target point all focused clearly.
    Using teles it is no problem on my more modern guns, & I am seriously considering buying a mid 60's Mk3 with the scope rail.
    Is it an easy matter to fit a 'modern' scope to an old '64 Mk3?

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Cut a rectangular section of metal the size of the scope rail you need. The piece will fit nicer if it is from a piece of pipe that has the same I.D. as the O.D. of the Webley main chamber body so the round contour fits nicely. Glue it in the correct position with Tiger Seal polyurethane glue and leave for 24 hours. You will have a solid scope rail that can be removed at a later date without damaging the MK 111.If you cut it from pipe you should have a nice angled shape on the edge for the scope mounts to grip. Makes a neat job.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Ta for such a detailed & helpful answer, Baz. Guess this means I'll have to buy the '64 Mk3 if it's still available.
    My wife will no doubt have issues with thee & me...

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Sights

Most people, including me, now use scopes and ignore the open sights. From my recollection, when I used open sights in the 60s, I was told that it's physically impossible to have both sights and the target in focus at the same time. Your sights should be in focus, and the target will then be slightly blurred. If you intend to fit a scope onto a Webley MK 3, be very careful when you tighten the mounts onto the rifle's rail. They are only spot welded on, and if you overdo the tightening the rail could come off in your hand! Why not try to find a period scope on the Forum from the same era as the MK 3, probably a 3 or 4 X 20 and use that. Failing that, modern 1 " mounts for 11mm rails will fit OK on the narrower part of the MK 3 scope rail.
    Last edited by webman; 31-03-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    I love my old Webley's, Airsporters & the like. But recently, despite a change of specs/prescription update, find it increasingly difficult to focus using open sights on my 20 yard range.
    I can't seem to get the front, rear & target point all focused clearly.

Bru
    There's nothing wrong with your eyes - it's not possible to focus on the rear sight, foresight and target at the same time.
    Target shooters, who use open sights, are told to concentrate and focus on the foresight and not to worry about the rest.
    A scope is much easier
    sj