Thread: 38/357 loads

38/357 loads

Hi guys
    I have recently purchased a 38/357 Rossi under lever to use down at the club for shooting 25/100 yards and would be interested in finding out the best loads that you guys use , powders / bullets /cases ect .
    What do you find the best load.

Also the best way of cleaning these as this is new to me although a friend uses a pull through and if this was the best way .

Regards
    Colin

I use 4gr Tightgroup in a 357mag case. use my own cast bullet from lee mould 125gr. Getting groups
    about 32mm at 50m. Works ok for me. I have to use this light load for the range I shoot on has a
    limit of 350 ftlbs. You can take the slide out to clean it but I would not try it. You will need 4 hands
    to put it back together
    Last edited by Simon_S; 08-03-2015 at 09:40 AM.

38/357

I would find out what the club uses on its 25 yard range first thing...usually have ME/MV restrictions. Bullets will be a deciding factor for accuracy....everyone I know with this round uses TC in 158/180 gn...the RNFP do not seem to be as accurate. Plated TC bullets also seem to work well in the Rossi. For 100 yards, you will need to step up your loads. You might also try 38special in the Rossi...I have seen some excellent results with the Rossi. Powders in common use..Bullseye, Unique, Trailboss, Vit N110, Vit 340. Take advice from fellow shooters who have been using the 357/38 for a number of years and who reload without injuring themselves! If you have not reloaded before...once again take advice. My club runs regular reloading sessions.
    As for cleaning, I would have to agree the last post, use a pullthrough with the Rossi...or use a rod from the muzzle, taking care not to damage the crown...when the dirty patch appears at the chamber end, remove it before withdrawing the rod.

amc577

Thanks for the info guys , I do reload already and will use this to develop some loads .
    Regards
    Colin