Thread: Hw77 vs hw95

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Hw77 vs hw95

This here '95 seems alot more jumpy than my 77. Running about the same power in .177. Will accuracy test later, but it seems that a big heavy scope and a barrel sleeve will be necessary to get it feeling nice.

No wonder they made the HW98.

The 95 is probably OK in .22 but it feels a bit snappy in .177.

Is the 99 like this only worse?

I now can see why people like the HW80 as the big heavy softly sprung .177 must be nicer to shoot than the 95.

I suppose it depends what you prefer.
    I have the HW95k in .22 and It's really nice to shoot.

I tried an 80 and it felt super-heavy. The difference is only 500grammes or something but it felt like a ton.

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    This here '95 seems alot more jumpy than my 77. Running about the same power in .177. Will accuracy test later, but it seems that a big heavy scope and a barrel sleeve will be necessary to get it feeling nice.

I now can see why people like the HW80 as the big heavy softly sprung .177 must be nicer to shoot than the 95.
    Your conclusion is correct and my experience too. To rectify the jumpiness in the 95 has occupied quite a bit of my time over the years. You either need to change the barrel for the shrouded HW98 one or add a reasonably substantial muzzle weight/moderator at the front end. I use the ones I bought from Jonny Neate on here . The '98 rebarrel' option is probably the most effective solution: it works well but somewhat negates the point of having the 95 in the first place. However even with the 98 barrel the rig ends up weighing less than the HW80 so is a worthwhile exercise. Both with comparable stocks-I have a Maccari sporter on my 98 and a CS800 on my HW80.
    I have tried quite a few modifications in order to have the benefit of the lighter 95 rig with reduced flip. The first thing obviously is to have a highly tuned 95 in the first place. Something like an SFS Banshee or Lazaglide/V Glide is a great starting point but expensive. I had a tuned 95 in .177, fitted a 98 barrel and it works really well with massively reduced flip. The HW80 is not immune from flip either but it is less pronounced than the one you get from the 95 or Webley Longbow. The other thing which helps a great deal is to run your 95/98 with as short a lock time as possible. Or as an alternative you could just buy a Fenman -preferably in .20- and forget everything else. As a real outside alternative, try a Walther LGV-you will be amazed.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

My experience too.

I really wanted to like the 95 in 177 - so much so that after I'd moved one on, I decided to try again and bought another. I moved the second one on within a fortnight.

Now I have an LGV, which is a much better mannered and more accurate gun.

I also have the HW99s in 22, and it is a joy to shoot.

I would never buy another 95 unless I intended to have it short stroked, shrouded, etc. In other words unless I were prepared to spend quite a bit of money on it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

77or 95

A hw 77 in .177 or ,22,lovely guns ,,hw95 in .22 lovely gun tuned right but in .177 is you are right can be jumpy.i had a .177 barrel and a .22 barrel and as said the .22 was a lot better and a barrel weight on them as well .

I had a 95 in. 177, not for long though just recently got another but in. 22 and have fitted a Parker Hale steel silencer to add weight to the muzzle, hopefully it should work a treat, fingers crossed i must admitt though that the 99 is the nicer gun to shoot and easier to achive good accuracy, so why do i want a 95
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Al, if you are up for swinging by sometime, you can try my 99 .177
    Personally I think it shoots massively better than either the 95 or the 98 I had

In fact, it shoots very similar to the 26mm HW77k I have here - but obviously with the 77s extra weight, it's that little bit calmer..

(All in .177)

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys

if you fire a 99 ,you will prob never touch your 95 again.

not being funny but if you are comparing a .177 95 with a .177 77 then i should cut your losses and move it on and get a 99. it seems that the .22 is a far steadier gun than the .177. i have about a dozen rifles AA and weihrauch. a few years ago i bought a new 95 .177. i have never seen such a jumpy gun. my 97 was making 1/4 " groups at 30 yards, the 95 anything up to one inch. i tried everything that was suggested on the forums. lead in the silencer. other weights up and down the barrel to no avail. eventualy i part exed it with my gunsmith for the first of many 99,s which has its problems which are very easily fixed and then in .177 you have a gun which is not jumpy at all in .177 and as accurate as any gun that i own. pete

Had over the years every spring gun from HW, the most suitable for me for carrying all day plus accuracy from the box is .22 99s, not had one galling? if it did would just buy another when it had had its life, don't want to carry a 97 or 80 all day and then try a standing shot.