Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hw77 vs hw95

To be honest my .22 HW85K (later 95 type) is nothing to write home about but I shot a .22 95K de-rated to just over 10fpe and is was much nicer, probably as good as a decent standard 77.
    It may be worth throttling back your .177 if you can get away with it. I agree that a silencer or compensator and a bigish scope should help also.

I don't know about the 95 but my HW 98 .177 is capable of 30mm groupings at 70 yards from a rested position in the outdoor range. Whenever I have taken it to the outdoor range it has proven that it was capable of grouping @ 70 yards. I know of quite a few PCps that can not do this routinely.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Just did some accuracy testing, in terms of potential accuracy HW95 is the equal of the HW77 but it is much, much harder to get this consistently. Technique and concentration have to be spot on all the time. The HW77 is much more forgiving and unless you are a brilliant top shot, generally more accurate than the HW95.
    Basically ^.

I'm an old time FWB Sport 124 shooter, so was told to find a 95. I did, a full V-Rech in house tuned in .177. Its silky smooth.

Weight wise its similar to the Sport, and wants to shoot just as accurately which is pellet on pellet. But both are equally sensitive to do so, and take very consistent driver input. The 95 has the better trigger.
    It seems to me there is a certain weight that is required to manage a big spring. The 95 is under that as shown by most of the solutions given by adding more weight. The tac drivers are 81/2 Lbs and above, HW77/80, AirArms TX and Prosport to name but a few. If you want light weight then drop the springer power to on, or tad under, 10ft/lbs and they then behave a whole lot better. A gem of a rifle is the old Anschutz 335 and that runs at close to 10ft/lbs.

I actually enjoy shooting "lively rifles" as it gets me concentrating. If you want a reasonably forgiving lighter weight rifle then the Fenman is a good one. Thats what I use in the field/farmyard.

Light weight rifles, whatever the type, are tricker to shoot period. The more deliberate you are with them the less they return. Sporting rifles are shot at the shorter ranges for good reason, they are difficult.

I have just had fitted a .20 barrel with front muzzle weight to my hw95
    this barrel i got from the most esteemed Rapidnick on here. this gun now shoots
    fantastically, power at just 11-00 fpe but very accurate, its a real pleasure to shoot
    Many Thanks Nick for the barrel.
    atb Brian

ps i also shoot the WaltherLGU & the SFS Imp in .22 cal
    both great springers

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Seeing as we're reviving a 2 1/2 year old thread, I'll chime in.. all the 95 needs is a stroke reduction of 10-12mm, job done. Then you have a gun with the correct swept voluem for 12Fp, curing the jumpiness.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    This here '95 seems alot more jumpy than my 77. Running about the same power in .177. Will accuracy test later, but it seems that a big heavy scope and a barrel sleeve will be necessary to get it feeling nice.

No wonder they made the HW98.

The 95 is probably OK in .22 but it feels a bit snappy in .177.

Is the 99 like this only worse?

I now can see why people like the HW80 as the big heavy softly sprung .177 must be nicer to shoot than the 95.
    not being funny but if you are comparing a .177 95 with a .177 77 then i should cut your losses and move it on and get a 99. it seems that the .22 is a far steadier gun than the .177. i have about a dozen rifles AA and weihrauch. a few years ago i bought a new 95 .177. i have never seen such a jumpy gun. my 97 was making 1/4 " groups at 30 yards, the 95 anything up to one inch. i tried everything that was suggested on the forums. lead in the silencer. other weights up and down the barrel to no avail. eventualy i part exed it with my gunsmith for the first of many 99,s which has its problems which are very easily fixed and then in .177 you have a gun which is not jumpy at all in .177 and as accurate as any gun that i own. pete

Had over the years every spring gun from HW, the most suitable for me for carrying all day plus accuracy from the box is .22 99s, not had one galling? if it did would just buy another when it had had its life, don't want to carry a 97 or 80 all day and then try a standing shot.