Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I fitted the service kit to my 99s

I fitted the service kit to my 99s

I got the service kit last week and got a chance to fit it today. Well it was the first time I have had a springer in bits and it was a rather easy job to do. I will admit I didn't polish the piston I just fitted the replacement spring, guide and top hat. But the difference in the way it shoots it's like a different gun. It's smooth to cock and when fired its got a gentle but positive nudge to it. I didn't fit any of the adjustment washers and after 20 shots over the crono it running at a nice 9.9ftlbs. I'm assuming this will rise slightly as it beds in and settles down.

What calibre is it?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    What calibre is it?
    It's .177

Sounds very good.

One slip washer might take it up a tad.

Apparently what you want is about 10.5 ftlbs with a 177.

You've got me thinking now. My 99s is in 22, but I'd love one in the smaller calibre as well.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 09-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1981 View Post
    I got the service kit last week and got a chance to fit it today. Well it was the first time I have had a springer in bits and it was a rather easy job to do. I will admit I didn't polish the piston I just fitted the replacement spring, guide and top hat. But the difference in the way it shoots it's like a different gun. It's smooth to cock and when fired its got a gentle but positive nudge to it. I didn't fit any of the adjustment washers and after 20 shots over the crono it running at a nice 9.9ftlbs. I'm assuming this will rise slightly as it beds in and settles down.
    What make was the kit you fitted mate ? ...
    AirgunBBS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Sounds very good.

One slip washer that might take it up a tad.

Apparently what you want is about 10.5 ftlbs with a 177.

You've got me thinking now. My 99s is in 22, but I'd love one in the smaller calibre as well.

I will check it after a tin or so of pellets and if it's below 10 still I will add a washer to bring it up to 10.5. But the way it's shooting at the moment I don't think I will. It's not very hold sensitive and I'm getting sub 5p groups at 20 yards so I'm not grumbling at the moment as it's more accurate than I am.

Very encouraging.

Thanks for sharing that.
    Arthur

Thanks for sharing
    Was that the Wonky D kit by the way ?
    atb, rich.
    gat gun .25 cal

Quote Originally Posted by richardscar View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    Was that the Wonky D kit by the way ?
    atb, rich.
    Yes that's kit I used after about 200 pellets at the range I ran it over the chrono again and it's running at 10.1 ftlbs h&n ftt's

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1981 View Post
    sounds like you need a couple of washers, if you can get it doing just over 10,should settle nice around10.4-5
    you dont want the .177 much higher,as will become too snappy,not so nice to shoot.

audiguypaul is offline Has been known to sneeze at mice
    Make sure you keep an eye on the stock bolts as they can work loose after a while
    AA s510 .177 Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44. AA s510 .22 Mamba Lite 4-16x44 diy NV.
    AA TX200 177 WD Tune Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. HW99s .22 WD Tune Meopta 6x42 4a

I to have just been playing with a 99s in .177. I purchased it second hand and it was doing about 10.5 ft lbs and a little harsh so I stripped and changed the spring, fitted a piston sleeve and did a little smoothing. It went up to a tad over 11 ft lbs and was still harsh. So stripped again cut a coil off the spring , flattened and smoothed and added a thin booster washer. Now doing around 9.5 ftlbs and a lot nicer to shoot.
    Perhaps a top hat would provide a smoother shot cycle in addition to the above.
    I wonder if around 9 - 10 ft lbs in .177 is the ideal power for these little rifles and that full power is more suited to the .22 version.

Excellent kits....
    Nice one mate, enjoy shooting your 'new' gun.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

I'm enjoying my Wonky Donked TX so much I still haven't fitted his kit to my HW99 /HW50 yet... Really interested to see how the.177 behaves.... I'll be aiming for no more than 10.5ftlbs.

Interesting post, cheers.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I to have just been playing with a 99s in .177. I purchased it second hand and it was doing about 10.5 ft lbs and a little harsh so I stripped and changed the spring, fitted a piston sleeve and did a little smoothing. It went up to a tad over 11 ft lbs and was still harsh. So stripped again cut a coil off the spring , flattened and smoothed and added a thin booster washer. Now doing around 9.5 ftlbs and a lot nicer to shoot.
    Perhaps a top hat would provide a smoother shot cycle in addition to the above.
    I wonder if around 9 - 10 ft lbs in .177 is the ideal power for these little rifles and that full power is more suited to the .22 version.

Just done my hw50 ( same as the 99), new guide, top hat and synthetic bearings on the piston, mine has the new style seal.
    When finished it was 12.5 ft lb and bouncing, so collapsed a coil, and made the top hat from steel to add a little weight to the piston, now at 11.5 and shooting a treat.