Thread: Cased three barrel Service rifles

Cased three barrel Service rifles

As the topic raised its head recently, I wonder just how many sets were ordered as sets with all barrels. Would you have been able to also order the case too? 90% of the sets that I have seen have 2 Knibbs type barrels, normally .177 and .25

I think a Brady type case with space for 2 barrels was a later option.

Your thoughts

Virtually none is the short answer! The .25 barrel wasn't available until 1937 in any case by which time production was nearing its end. The Brady cases were only really suitable for one barrel though the other two could be dropped under the inner partition, though it was not ideal as the barrels would bang together.

One or two gunmakers/gunsmiths at the time ( ie Westley Richards) fitted out cases with three barrels and these are desirable, but I have never seen a genuine 3 barrelled cased set from Webley, probably for the reason that they were never offered in cases set out to house the three barrels.
    There are many 3 barrelled sets out there but invariably they are nearly all feature cobbled together components in a refigured shotgun case, and obviously nice to look at but nothing like the 'real' thing.

So in a nutshell, a complete Service with two genuine Webley barrels (number stamped or not) is the holy grail then

Going by the Webley catalogues the holy grail would be a LEATHER Webley case with 3 Numbered barrels, late 1930's, with the related accoutrements.
    I have seen several of the various Brady Webley rifle cases but have never seen nor heard of the existence of the leather one, which I think from memory was £3.
    If anyone has I would be pleased to hear of it. I do not even know if it was laid out internally as the Brady cases. It probably was but to know for sure would be interesting.