Thread: how harsh are bronze brushes on the barrel rifling

how harsh are bronze brushes on the barrel rifling

Hi guys, I have found that my wheelarch 97k starts to pepper sometimes and tightens up again after a pullthrough. Normally I just use dry patches and recently was loaned a boresnake. I love the simplicity so I bought one but didn't realise that it has two bronze brushes incorporated into the snake. Is this likely to wear my barrel over time as I would hate to do that as I love my rifle not to be leaded up too much but wouldnt want it to wear out or damage the rifling due to trying to look after it.

If anyone has any views to share I would be very grateful to hear them.
    Does anyone know how to contact doughnuts Anonymous cos I just cant seem to give them up and may be a 0 addict

You can get boresnakes that are used for air rifles. They don't have the bronze brush

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    IMO, not a problem. I have been using bronze brushes on rifle and pistol barrels of all kinds for more than 40 years with no noticeable degradation.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Rex,
    The one you tried of mind was the air rifle one without the bronze brushes. I would go back and get one without brushes rather than risking it.
    Neil

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Just fire some felts through it
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Phosphour bronze (the sort used for bore brushes), is much softer than barrel steel. If a barrel has been damaged by cleaning, it's when the rod, or brush core (traditionally steel on Parker-Hale brushes) has rubbed up and down the bore. If you find the barrel groups erratically after cleaning with a brush, it's more likely the brush has just cleaned the barrel a little too thoroughly.

thanks for the responses guys, I managed to remove the brushes as they were bound around twisted steel wires which may have not come in contact with the barrel but I don't want to hurt my baby. its coll though as I haven't compromised what i set out to achieve which is a nice simple and efficient pull through tool. Job done
    Does anyone know how to contact doughnuts Anonymous cos I just cant seem to give them up and may be a 0 addict