Thread: Sierra bullets in the Hornet.

Sierra bullets in the Hornet.

I loaded a batch of my new Sierra Varminter Hornet bullets in 40 and 45 gr. with Lilgun powder, stepped loads.

I did wonder if the heavier 45 gr would stabilise in my 1-16 twist CZ 527, however, they seemed to do a bit better than the 40gr. (40gr. V-Max do very well in this rifle).

My only glitch is that I made a basic mistake and forgot to zero my scales before starting so I can't guarantee that the loads are really accurate - ah well - do it all again !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p69tpohz7y...20001.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1nwjyoc8i...20002.jpg?dl=0

yep im on the 45g but using 2400 dose the job , cant remember the amount but used the basics and mv
    of the s and b 45 g factory for my home load as these gave good results
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

I'm waiting to get hold of some sierra 40gn .224's (1200) I have tried some .223's (1100) & they weren't too bad, but my RFD's still being told by the supplier's that there are none available, or 35gn V-max ?

Its all about the COL and not the amount of powder (within reason).

I think you might be limited with the hornet by the magazine length (at least a mates 527 was) but I'd measure the chamber length and come back 10 thou for 6 batches using a mid range amount of powder and see how it goes.

COL gives you accuracy, powder gives you FPS and recoil (again within a reasonable range of powders).

Or at least thats what I've found in my .223, .308 and .243.

Given the different lengths and ogives it might explain your 40/45gr differences.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Its all about the COL and not the amount of powder (within reason).

I think you might be limited with the hornet by the magazine length (at least a mates 527 was) but I'd measure the chamber length and come back 10 thou for 6 batches using a mid range amount of powder and see how it goes.

COL gives you accuracy, powder gives you FPS and recoil (again within a reasonable range of powders).

Or at least thats what I've found in my .223, .308 and .243.

Given the different lengths and ogives it might explain your 40/45gr differences.
    Yet Hornet specific bullets are all short & the reloading books state COL's of 1.715" - 1.750", it's only the generic bullets that are longer, my chamber length is 1.815" to get within 10 thou of that a Hornet specific bullet will hardly be seated

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yet Hornet specific bullets are all short & the reloading books state COL's of 1.715" - 1.750", it's only the generic bullets that are longer, my chamber length is 1.815" to get within 10 thou of that a Hornet specific bullet will hardly be seated
    The stated COLs are only to stay within Saami specs, you need to adjust it for your rifle to get the best results within limits beyond your control such as magazine length. And you can always single load if you aren't in the field.

As long as the bullet is seated approx 1/2 diameter in the case you should be fine. My P14 would need the bullet out of the case to seat on the lands, but still by varying the jump I found the best load for that rifle. A mate's precision 6.5mm needed a jump of 120 thou to get the best accuracy in his rifle.

Its all about the COL

Saying all that, I've never known a person get great consistent accuracy out of hornet. Its normally 3-4 great ones and one flyer. Well, apart from the person who will post later on this thread with a benchrest hornet

I've been experimenting with COL. Difficult with short Hornet bullets but V-Max 40gr. are longer and can be seated further out. I get good results by loading V-Max to 1.850" then pulling the tip off so they fit in the magazine. This gives a COL of 1.730"

bullbarrel - Saying all that, I've never known a person get great consistent accuracy out of hornet. Its normally 3-4 great ones and one flyer. Well, apart from the person who will post later on this thread with a benchrest hornet The way I fix that is to shoot one shot groups - and never on a full moon !!!

I'm waiting to get hold of some sierra 40gn .224's (1200) I have tried some .223's (1100) & they weren't too bad, but my RFD's still being told by the supplier's that there are none available, or 35gn V-max ?
    The 35gr v-max have started trickling through, I bought 300 from Chris potter's, Dauntseys have or ad some in stock. Think Dauntseys have 40gr SP and HP in .224 and they'll post down to your RFD, I've got the second half of my nosler HP load to try tomorrow, very similar to the Sierra a HP (1385).
    Thanks for looking

Sierra's

If you're trying different bullets try the Sierra 1210, made a huge improvement over the varmint type bullets in my Hornet. The "rounder" Ogive lets you seat deeper and still get near the lands if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    The 35gr v-max have started trickling through, I bought 300 from Chris potter's, Dauntseys have or ad some in stock. Think Dauntseys have 40gr SP and HP in .224 and they'll post down to your RFD, I've got the second half of my nosler HP load to try tomorrow, very similar to the Sierra a HP (1385).
    Well thankfully I've got plenty of the 30gn varmint grenades which are 1/2" @ 100yds.

I've just had 90 minutes trying loads & 35gn V-max & 45gn 2230 hornady both gave good groups with 11.5gn in normal hornet cases when fire forming but I'll need to fine tune them both in the formed K cases.

I've also just tried some 36gn varmint grenades in varying loads, at 65yds, utterly hopeless less than half even hit the A4 target sheet 40cm x 40cm spread from the impacts to the sandbags (I've got another 200 of them that are no use to me )

This reloading lark can be very "interesting"

Strange about the Barnes Varmint grenades 36gr. Some people love them but in my CZ they performed the same as yours - all over the place. gave the rest of the box away !

The Sierra 45gr I have are the 1210.

Well thankfully I've got plenty of the 30gn varmint grenades which are 1/2" @ 100yds.

I've just had 90 minutes trying loads & 35gn V-max & 45gn 2230 hornady both gave good groups with 11.5gn in normal hornet cases when fire forming but I'll need to fine tune them both in the formed K cases.

I've also just tried some 36gn varmint grenades in varying loads, at 65yds, utterly hopeless less than half even hit the A4 target sheet 40cm x 40cm spread from the impacts to the sandbags (I've got another 200 of them that are no use to me )

This reloading lark can be very "interesting"
    The Barnes lead free bullets are long for calibre to get the weight which I guess is why the 30gr is working well for angry bear and the 36gr are not so good they'd be better in a .222/. 223 which I would guess is what they're designed for
    Thanks for looking

1210 are thee heads I use ,I have tried hornadry 45g and there ones called the bee 45g as well but my best results have been with the sierra's and 2400 powder think im using 8.9 g and Winchester small rifle primers
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER