Thread: Impact Airguns T500

Impact Airguns T500

Impact Airguns GSX T500
    The Impact Airguns GSX T500. A rather unfortunate name for an airgun as a Google search will point you in the direction of Suzuki motorbikes. And this is the main reason I have decided to write this review. I'm hoping to do this eventually in video format as there is a lot to talk about and in our faster internet and everything is easier society long winded text documents are not what the average consumer wants
    Let's get straight into it then.
    The first impression of the T500 is good. A tactical looking sniper rifle that is pleasing to the eye.
    On closer inspection you can't deny it's Theoben Rapid heritage which should fill the potential owner with confidence. The Rapid range of guns has proven itself for many years. Unlike the Rapids though, who have been improved by a loving fan base of enthusiasts, this newer generation of airgun has many of these improvements straight out of the box
    These Improvements include a pressure gauge and quick fill system the old Rapid sorely needed in my opinion.Also all Impact Airgun PCP's come with a micro bore regulator and unlike the old Theoben design, where Theoben mounts or a adaptor rail are needed, the new generation of Impact Airgun's have a 9-11mm dovetail rail machine directly onto the block. Impact Airguns have been in talks with one of the lads who has made custom parts for rapids for many years. If they have included his designs and ideas is a question I'm not able to answer

The Block
    The block itself is similar to the MFR block with the scalloped breech that allows the use of a magazine or enables the shooter to insert the pellet directly into the breach. The bolt handle is still of the old rapid design but I can't help thinking that a side lever would have been a better choice for this type of rifle. Even a rear bolt would have been good. On a personal note I have been thinking for some time that a rear bolt conversion would be a good thing for any Rapid. A view that seems to upset some Rapid purists. However the side bolt does not in any way limit the capability of this gun which is outstanding to say the least. I'm not keen on the white lettering on the left hand side of the block. This view is shared by many
    The Trigger
    The trigger is fantastic and suits me perfectly. It is adjustable for first and second stage. Two adjustment screws for first and second stage are located behind the trigger. Therefore the action has to be removed from the stock to make adjustments. What I really like about this rifle is the safety. It is located in front of the trigger blade. Flick it towards you and the gun is save, flick it forwards and the gun is ready to be shot. Many airgunners do not like the safety near the trigger but this is done in a way you would have to be very careless to shoot the gun while engaging the safety. However I do appreciate there are some who will not like this and it is down to everyone's personal preference but be assured it is much better than the Air Arms safety on the trigger design.
    The Barrel and Shroud
    The barrel is a Lothar Walther, 16 inches long and 1,5 inches are located inside the block. It is fixed into position just as in the old Rapids. The glossy carbon fibre shroud is 22.5 inches long and back vented which makes for a moderately quiet gun. I'm have been spoiled by the custom shroud on my old Airwolf which is a lot quieter than the T500 but never the less it is a good effort by IA. The shroud diameter is 28mm or 1.13 inches. The last 2 inches is a snazzy looking air stripper that is part of the tactical sniper rifle look
    The Stock
    The stock is probably the most expensive stock ever put on an airgun. It is a synthetic stock with a wide fore end and a adjustable cheek piece. It also contains a accessory rail in the front and a monopod right in front of the butt pad which makes this rifle incredibly stable when shooting with a bipod. The front end and pistol grip are well stippled and give a perfect grip. The adjustable cheek piece has two retaining bolts and a clever little wheel to adjust height. All the retaining bolts do is hold it firmly in place. There is a third retaining bolt the holds the monopod in place. One simple twist and the spring loaded monopod pops out, a second twist to secure it in place. The stock itself is moderately heavy which is one of the reasons this gun is so stable of the bipod. Use the monopod and you will have to be a bad shooter to miss your mark. The butt pad is not adjustable but you could add spacers or remove them by loosening the three retaining screws that hold it in place. Something a very tall shooter may need to do. One thing about the stock is the finish. It looks like it hasn't had got one. The stippling on the fore end marks easily and there are specks on it that look like someone did a bad job with a spray can. You do have to look closely to notice these but they are there. I would think a rubberised finish like the tactical Daystate stocks would be a improvement and could be done by anyone.

Accuracy
    To say said the gun is accurate would be an understatement and that is all that needs to be said about this issue
    17 shots over the combro

Average 754.88 ft/s = 10.68FT/lbf

Things that I would change
    1. The white writing on the block
    2. Matt finish instead of gloss for the shroud
    3. Use grub screws for the cheek piece instead of the retaining bolts
    4. Rubberised finish on the stock
    5. 180cc cylinder as standard or a larger diameter cylinder of the same length as the 120cc

Summary
    Over all a good gun with some small points that could be improved on. You can't deny the Rapid heritage and that, as I have already stated, should give anyone confidence in this
    Air Arms S410 Carbine -.177- Hawke Sidewinder 30 4.5-14x42
    Air Arms S400 -.177 - Hawke Sidewinder 30 10x42
    Daystate Airwolf CDT -.177- Richter 6-24x50

Good write up mate.

Quote Originally Posted by cumbrianbob View Post
    Good write up mate.
    agree , nice one Uli.

elephant in the room

Hi there
    Got to say well done putting your hard earn dosh on a Brite gun and jobs.This could be called a mk 3 Rapid if only this and that!!
    Had to agree with you that the bolt is on the wrong place.
    Did you notice the elephant in the room. LOL
    cheers, Mike

Thanx guys
    Great gun and I hope to get some pictures soon
    I quickly finished this as a member on another forum asked about the GSX 200 and the mechanics are the same
    Got carried away and posted it everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by pneucomer View Post
    Hi there
    Got to say well done putting your hard earn dosh on a Brite gun and jobs.This could be called a mk 3 Rapid if only this and that!!
    Had to agree with you that the bolt is on the wrong place.
    Did you notice the elephant in the room. LOL
    I bought mine 2nd hand chap so my cash donation is significantly lower
    I have ordered the 180cc cylinder though nd any more
    A rear bolt conversion should be possible
    After all you can access the rear of the bolt and it got a thread cut in it already
    Would not improve the shooting but loading would improve no end
    And it is a Rapid MKIII in all but name
    Air Arms S410 Carbine -.177- Hawke Sidewinder 30 4.5-14x42
    Air Arms S400 -.177 - Hawke Sidewinder 30 10x42
    Daystate Airwolf CDT -.177- Richter 6-24x50