Thread: First go!

First go!

I bought a navy arms flintlock musket at Christmas and haven't had chance to use it til today, when I went up to Wedgnock. It's bloody marvellous, such good fun!
    I think this could get very addictive indeed! I even managed to get a few in the black!
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

Cant beat a bit of click,phut, BANG.!!!

you just need to go again now jamie ,all good fun

What is it?

Any chance of a photo?

It's a .58 smoothbore navy arms harpers ferry musket. Pics are a bit tricky this week, I'm working away at the moment, I'll try to sort some at the weekend (hoping to go back to Wedgnock!)

Can't believe how sweet it was to shoot, no recoil to speak of and a lovely bang!
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    It's a .58 smoothbore navy arms harpers ferry musket. Pics are a bit tricky this week, I'm working away at the moment, I'll try to sort some at the weekend (hoping to go back to Wedgnock!)

Can't believe how sweet it was to shoot, no recoil to speak of and a lovely bang!
    In which case you are not loading it enough. Are you patching the ball? Are you using around 80 -100gr of FFg? If not, then you might as well be shooting a water pistol....

tac, believer in booming

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    believer in booming
    a friend was of the same opinion until he went to the hospital for retinopathy (something to do with diabetes and eyes) they asked him if he was a boxer as something was shaking his head violently, he said no boxing just shooting, they then explained that the diabetes had weakened the muscles that surround his eyes and the high recoil was literary shaking his eyes out of his head!! they then explained that the flickering lights he was seeing (a normal bulb or fluorescent tube that to him appeared to flicker) was an after affect of the violent shaking, the hospital told him to cut back on the use of heavy recoil rifles, they said stock delivered the recoil directly to his shoulder and neck and had a whiplash like affect on his eyes, they also said that pistols should be ok as you hold them at arms length and the arms absorb a lot of the recoil.
    in short, if he had controlled his diabetes better the muscles that surround his eyes would not have been wakened therefore he would still be shooting heavy loads.
    by the way, his idea of a heavy rifle load was if after pulling the trigger and the smoke settled you found yourself 2-3 feet further back from the firing point than when you started to pull the trigger
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Yep, was patching the balls. Was the first time out so started at a low load of 3dr, seemed to work quite nicely! May well work up as I get the hang of it but I shan't be stoking it up to the max, it was making holes in cardboard quite happily as it was!

Jamie