Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: More hornet bullets.

I think Eligus has sold his hornet.

I was out putting out some deer feeders last night, needed some ferret food so took the CZ527 hornet came home with a smile on my face as its just so nice to shoot
    Thanks for looking

Yeah, I sold the Hornet , with a number of regrets. Never mind, I had good fun with it.

On the plus side - I went out with the HMR this afternoon and fired 40 shots and the girls in the yard behind me didn't even know I was there !

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    11.5gr compressed
    COL 1.720"
    Pressure 10,500 CUP (ish from memory)
    Barrel 22" if that makes a difference

This is taken from published data, though it was published in the '70s, from a DuPont loading manual and base on a Hornady 45gr soft point. I can't get hold of any hornady bullets but have got a good supply of Speer soft points should it work.

Interesting what you are saying with the unburned powder as it will potentially accumulate in the mod which could cause issues

What I am trying to achieve is a quieter load for my hornet (not necessarily subsonic) for use in more noise sensitive areas. Looking around the net unique or trail boss would likely be better for my needs but I've already got IMR 4831 for loading my 6.5x55.

I'd be genuinely interested and grateful to know what quick load says, I have 10 loaded as above and 10 the same but with a 40gr HP but have been unsure of shooting them!,
    Finally managed to get out and test these loads last night, results were reduced noise but still a crack, somewhere between HV .22 and HMR so not as good as I'd hoped.

Accuracy wise at 40 yards the 40gr HP were rubbish, the 45 Speer SP grouped but formed 2 distinct groups with one about 1" higher than the other. I think this is possibly due to some shots leaving unburned propellant in the bore, causing higher pressure and therefore higher velocity for the next shot.

Not a load I'm going to take any further but may give unique and red dot a go to see what they do!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Finally managed to get out and test these loads last night, results were reduced noise but still a crack, somewhere between HV .22 and HMR so not as good as I'd hoped.

Accuracy wise at 40 yards the 40gr HP were rubbish, the 45 Speer SP grouped but formed 2 distinct groups with one about 1" higher than the other. I think this is possibly due to some shots leaving unburned propellant in the bore, causing higher pressure and therefore higher velocity for the next shot.

Not a load I'm going to take any further but may give unique and red dot a go to see what they do!
    I tried Red Dot between 3 and 1.7gr's, got the speed down to about 1,300fps. No problems with unburnt powder.