Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More hornet bullets.

More hornet bullets.

After fixing my scales I got to test some more bullets today.

The new Sierra 45gr with Lilgun performed pretty well, however, the 40gr were nowhere near as accurate - anyone need 75 Sierra soft point 40gr bullets cheap?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6ixv2mq6o...20001.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o9or0g749...20002.jpg?dl=0

I also loaded a few Hornady V-Max 35gr with some H110 powder, they performed much worse than the same loaded with Lilgun - but the barrel might have been getting a bit dirty by then.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tldawblgn9...20003.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyddwv2s2o...204th.jpg?dl=0

I can't help but notice that with the V-max on the 4th it says 50yds on the 18th 100yds might explain the larger groups

I must comment on your loads for the 45gn 12.2gn - 13gn lil-gun

My book says 7.1gn - 8.9gn lil-gun with the 45gn Sierra

& happy to rehome any spare 40gn
    Last edited by angrybear; 20-03-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    After fixing my scales I got to test some more bullets today.

The new Sierra 45gr with Lilgun performed pretty well, however, the 40gr were nowhere near as accurate - anyone need 75 Sierra soft point 40gr bullets cheap?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6ixv2mq6o...20001.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o9or0g749...20002.jpg?dl=0

I also loaded a few Hornady V-Max 35gr with some H110 powder, they performed much worse than the same loaded with Lilgun - but the barrel might have been getting a bit dirty by then.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tldawblgn9...20003.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyddwv2s2o...204th.jpg?dl=0
    Did you jump from 12.2-13 grains with the 40 grain bullets? I bet if you went up in 0.1 gr increments you'd find a sweet spot, are you loading all to the same COL?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I can't help but notice that with the V-max on the 4th it says 50yds on the 18th 100yds might explain the larger groups

I must comment on your loads for the 45gn 12.2gn - 13gn lil-gun

My book says 7.1gn - 8.9gn lil-gun with the 45gn Sierra

& happy to rehome any spare 40gn
    Hodgdon's load data for virtually every bullet weight (apart from Barnes XFB 53g which must be a long bullet) is 11.7-12.0 gr minimum to 13gr maximum; the only thing that varies is the COL.

I run Nosler FBHP Varmageddon 40 gr over 12.9g, worked up from 11.6 to check for pressure, this is 1.9gr over Nosler's data but 0.1 below Hodgdons max. They also give me same POI as the 35gr V-max with the same charge which is handy!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Did you jump from 12.2-13 grains with the 40 grain bullets? I bet if you went up in 0.1 gr increments you'd find a sweet spot, are you loading all to the same COL?

Hodgdon's load data for virtually every bullet weight (apart from Barnes XFB 53g which must be a long bullet) is 11.7-12.0 gr minimum to 13gr maximum; the only thing that varies is the COL.

I run Nosler FBHP Varmageddon 40 gr over 12.9g, worked up from 11.6 to check for pressure, this is 1.9gr over Nosler's data but 0.1 below Hodgdons max. They also give me same POI as the 35gr V-max with the same charge which is handy!
    You're quite right Hodgson do say that,

but Sierra give 7.1gn for 2300fps, 7.7gn for 2400fps, 8.3gn for 2500fps & 8.9gn (max) for 2600fps for their #1210 45gn Hornet bullet.

That's why I like this one book/one calibre manual I can cross refer both bullet & powder.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You're quite right Hodgson do say that,

but Sierra give 7.1gn for 2300fps, 7.7gn for 2400fps, 8.3gn for 2500fps & 8.9gn (max) for 2600fps for their #1210 45gn Hornet bullet.

That's why I like this one book/one calibre manual I can cross refer both bullet & powder.
    Yeah I do something similar in that I try and find 3 sources of data for any given powder & bullet type combo then start a little above the lowest minimum and work up to the maximum or until I start to get pressure signs. The only trouble is i have to hunt around the net though a lot of the manufacturers have data on their websites which is handy.

No real pressure signs in anything I've done in the hornet other than the 52 gr SMKs which showed pressure at the minimum load and keyholed so I gave up on that one!
    Thanks for looking

I've been using the Hodgdon load data. I might try the Sierra data and see what it chronos at.

Boydy - I previously tried stepped loads, abouit the same results for the 40gr.
    COl 40gr - 1.736" 1st batch, 1.750" 2nd. batch (no apprechiabl difference); 45gr - 1.760"
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p69tpohz7y...20001.jpg?dl=0

Eligus,

how well does the rifle shoot with factory, is it better or worse than your home loads?

You seem to be trying every bullet under the sun, but only two powders, if you aren't achieving the results that you are trying to achieve change another variable, but only one at once. Try a slower powder instead of a very fast powder, try several charge weights in small increments, 0.1 or 0.2 gr, pick the best charge weight then change seating lengths.

What is the point of testing a load if you think the barrel is dirty, if the barrel is fouled with a dirty powder you will never get a representative group of what the load is capable of.

What is your cleaning regime?

Has the crown been checked by a smith, is the rifle bedded, are the mounts secure, is the scope known to be good?

Sorry, lots of questions.

If in doubt ditch the Hornet and get a .222, RL7, BLC 2, Benchmark, H4198, H322, H335 or RS X terminator with a 50-52gr bullet set at an appropriate depth will give you better velocity, a better BC bullet and much better groups.

I've been using the Hodgdon load data. I might try the Sierra data and see what it chronos at.

Boydy - I previously tried stepped loads, abouit the same results for the 40gr.
    COl 40gr - 1.736" 1st batch, 1.750" 2nd. batch (no apprechiabl difference); 45gr - 1.760"
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p69tpohz7y...20001.jpg?dl=0
    Fair enough, I'm yet to try any Sierra bullets through mine, apparently their 40gr HP is a good bet #1385.

I know one thing I'm jealous of the amount of time you have for loading and load testing!
    Thanks for looking

Pothunter - I'm trying different bullets because of the lack of a constant supply, trying what I can find.
    I have the rifle shooting very well with the right load, down to 1" groups at 150 yards on a good day plus I like playing about!

Boydy - I'm supposed to be semi-retired and live on my own - so it doesn't matter if I sit up until 2am loading !!

Pothunter - I'm trying different bullets because of the lack of a constant supply, trying what I can find.
    I have the rifle shooting very well with the right load, down to 1" groups at 150 yards on a good day plus I like playing about!
    Fair enough, find what shoots best and get as many as your ammunition allowance will let you buy.

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post

If in doubt ditch the Hornet and get a .222, RL7, BLC 2, Benchmark, H4198, H322, H335 or RS X terminator with a 50-52gr bullet set at an appropriate depth will give you better velocity, a better BC bullet and much better groups.
    ^^^^^

This is, in my long and bitter experience of several .22 Hornets, the only sensible solution to getting one to shoot well

I am now the proud owner of a Sako L461 in .222 which took 5 minutes of work to have shooting single hole 5-shot groups...
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

Boydy - I'm supposed to be semi-retired and live on my own - so it doesn't matter if I sit up until 2am loading !!
    Try the 30gn Barnes grenades, they're superb.

Just compiled my results from this afternoons test session & I notice that across the board I'm getting better than 150 fps (5%) more than the quoted velocity figures for the powder load with every single bullet

I've double checked the weights on another scales and that confirms the loads are correct,

Averaging at Barns 30gn @ 3400fpe, 35 V-max @ 3300fps & Horn 45gn SP @ 3016fps, the first two are 1/2" accurate but I can't get the 45gn better than 2" e to e with any load so far.

Sounds like you've got 2 reliable loads then AB

Shows the difference with your K hornet, I'm getting 3040 fps with the 35gr v-max out of mine
    Thanks for looking

I got that 3300fps with 12gn lil-gun in a Hornady K case & small rifle primer.

This one is 10%+ better than the book velocity.