Thread: More hornet bullets.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Now got two boxes of Sierra 40gn 1200's on the way to my RFD which I'm looking forward to testing, I think I'll abandon further testing the Hornady 45gn until I've had a play with them.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Now got two boxes of Sierra 40gn 1200's on the way to my RFD which I'm looking forward to testing, I think I'll abandon further testing the Hornady 45gn until I've had a play with them.
    Let us know how you get on. Mine was better with the 45's than the 40's

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    Let us know how you get on. Mine was better with the 45's than the 40's
    Well I can already say that mine's as good with 40gn in .223" (Sierra 1100's) as I've managed with 45gn Hornady 2230, so the .224" (1200) should do even better.

But it did "one hole cloverleaf" my last 3 factory 45gn Remington rounds at 50yds.

C.O.A.L consistency

OK so I've got my Sierra 40gn SP's and just made up a selection of loads but I notice that on the vernier the coal is inconsistent

Closely comparing the finished rounds I can see the problem is with the bullets, the lead tips are inconsistent in shape & size, so that a more pointed tip is being seated a fraction deeper than the more rounded.

My Tester to set the die was spot on at 1.720", but the batch I've just done go from 1.731" down to 1.704" although the vast majority are 1.719-1.721"

I doubt that's going to help the grouping much

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    OK so I've got my Sierra 40gn SP's and just made up a selection of loads but I notice that on the vernier the coal is inconsistent

Closely comparing the finished rounds I can see the problem is with the bullets, the lead tips are inconsistent in shape & size, so that a more pointed tip is being seated a fraction deeper than the more rounded.

My Tester to set the die was spot on at 1.720", but the batch I've just done go from 1.731" down to 1.704" although the vast majority are 1.719-1.721"

I doubt that's going to help the grouping much
    I guess it depends on if hey are all consistent to the ogive which they may well be, one thing I noted when loading soft points is if you squeeze the vernier too hard you squash the point and shorten the COL anyway!
    Thanks for looking

0.002 variation is unlikely to make much difference but the more extreme variations might - causing an eneven 'jump' to the lands.
    There is a device (forgoten the name) that you pop the tip of the round into and it when you measure it gives a consistant measurement to the base of the ogive. Of course this gives differing COAL's for different bullets (depending on tip shape) but the amount of tapered tip sitting inside the lands and not touching is of no consequence.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f1TTfqxVUw...0/DSCN7681.JPG

I don't know if this link will work but give it a try.