Thread: Opinions on Rebel 17 Tumbler please?

Opinions on Rebel 17 Tumbler please?

It's made by STM and is a wet system using stainless media similar to the Thumbler model B but cheaper.

Does anyone have experience with these? They look like they will do the business but how are they for reliablility?

I've found two sources with similar pricing schemes JDReloading and 1967Spud at c. £265

I've got one recently and think it's very good, not had it long enough to comment on durability but it's s very simple motor /belt driven drum so should last for ages . Build quality is pretty decent & not to noisy although I use it in a garage, mostly due to if it leaks it won't cause s problem.
    I personally think the results are better than a dry media tumbler ( which I still have ).
    The lyman magnetic one is similar in that it's a wet media system and may be quicker but I think it's even more expensive .
    I would recommend a media separater as it makes life easier and you obviously have to dry the cases as well.
    I deprime before use and so the primer pockets get cleaned as well ,if the primers are left in moisture can take some time to dry unless using a heat source (oven).
    Don't know if it work hardens the brass and have not heard anything to that effect,the process is used commercially to de burr items do does have good record.
    Hope this helps any quedtions feel free to ask .
    ATB James

Thank you for the reply, I am also of the persuasion that removing primers before cleaning is the way to go, although it is very much a big-endian/little-endian thing as some folks say you shouldn't; so long as I check that no media is trapped in the case/flash-hole I don't see a problem!

If you are retiring a dry system in favour of the wet, I guess the wet does a more comprehensive job, and if the seperator makes life easier I'll probably plump for one of those as well. At the moment I am just using a cheap ultrasonic bath for cleaning, and it works to a point (the dirty solution is evidence of that) but I'm not convinced it is as thorough as a wet media system and the shiny cases should (I hope) make it easier to spot any defects before they go near a sizing die

How many .308 sized cases does it accept? I was thinking of batches of 100 at a go but is that optimistic?

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by GaleForceEight View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I am also of the persuasion that removing primers before cleaning is the way to go, although it is very much a big-endian/little-endian thing as some folks say you shouldn't; so long as I check that no media is trapped in the case/flash-hole I don't see a problem!

If you are retiring a dry system in favour of the wet, I guess the wet does a more comprehensive job, and if the seperator makes life easier I'll probably plump for one of those as well. At the moment I am just using a cheap ultrasonic bath for cleaning, and it works to a point (the dirty solution is evidence of that) but I'm not convinced it is as thorough as a wet media system and the shiny cases should (I hope) make it easier to spot any defects before they go near a sizing die

How many .308 sized cases does it accept? I was thinking of batches of 100 at a go but is that optimistic?
    Cant comment on how many, it depends on the cases/time etc.

I would decap before tumbling as they tumbler does a surprisingly good job of the primer pockets. If folk are daft enough not to shake them out and check them....what can you say? I clean usually straight off the range, rinse in V hot water and shake/dry the cases in handfulls and turn them onto a towel to dry. No spots to report.

I have only had the odd pin stuck in the flash holes of 556 cases, but I have heard of them being stuck cross ways in necks of cases.

CHECK BEFORE YOU PROCESS THEM

I have used US cleaners and found they were better for parts (triggers) than brass.

I have never used dry (seems pointless, shine for shines sake and crap where you need it least, primer pockets and flash holes)

The only downside with STM might be the case mouths being a tad battered but I have yet to see this cause a problem.

Some cases seem to clean better than others. 303 comes out spotless while 308 and other bottle necks can stay a but stained round the shoulder/neck step, but not worryingly so.

The nice thing about STM is that it cleans where it matters and teh shine might (just might) aid feed.

I would recommend a couple of caps full of sea clean to each load. I also find that they seem to clean better with the drum about 2 thirds full of water.

http://cpc.farnell.com/james-product...?ost=sea+clean

Get the 5l, the small bottle is a waste of money (that said I am talking about caps full from the small bottle....this is how I know its a waste of money) Cheers Ovenpaa

They can be a bit noisy and might vibrate their way off of a worktop, so I place mine on an old rubber car mat.

I run mine for about 2 hours which gives and really good clean. It does make spotting incipient case seps easy as well as splits and other tales of potential woe......
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

I've not had any of the STM get stuck in the primer pockets where as I used to get dry media stuck.
    Also I always used to clean the primer pockets anyway so using a universal decapping die to push them out
    1st does not add a lot to the process.
    I think on the rebel websit they say how many cases you can clean in one go and I would have thought about 100 308s would be ok.
    Overall I would say it's a bit more faffing about using a wet STM process,but the results IMO is better than dry and better than ultrasonic.

I got mine from SPUD great to deal with and quick delivery so can reccomend him.
    ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by GaleForceEight View Post

I have a Rebel 17 and am very happy with it. I think the advertised capacity is around 300 308 cases, but it cleans better with 200. I deprime first and the JCReloading steel pin media does not get stuck in flash holes.
    The brass definitely gets a lot cleaner then when compared to dry tumbling in walnut media, but the faff factor is higher. I dry tumble my brass between neck sizes and only wet tumble when the shoulder needs bumping.
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner and though it could theoretically clean more clinically, I seldom use it as it is slower and more fiddly.

Thank you for the feedback folks, it is much appreciated.

In the light of the positive comments I have ordered one.... The next job is to clear some space in the garage, but that will have to wait as this weekend I am running tech for a Game of Thrones fan convention

Tumbler arrived on Monday, and I am very pleased with the results thus far.

Two batches done so far, about 300 cases in all.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I stuck a stupid amount of 223 cases in my Thumbler the other night and it coped.....I just got sick of the things sitting about!!

Next job..

De crimp and ream pockets (GGG brass), trim, check flash hole, FL size.....lose will to live!!

I do them in 110 round batches now as thats about right for a CSR comp.....
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

I dont own one but borrowed one and some sea clean from a mate to do a few hundred 222 and 25-06 cases. It worked great but I think the sea clean is a waste of money, 2 tea spoons of citric acid crystals and a squirt of washing up liquid and they came out looking better than when new.

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I dont own one but borrowed one and some sea clean from a mate to do a few hundred 222 and 25-06 cases. It worked great but I think the sea clean is a waste of money, 2 tea spoons of citric acid crystals and a squirt of washing up liquid and they came out looking better than when new.

Rick
    JDReloading supplied anhydrous Citric Acid crystals and 'Wairose Essential' washing detergent. a pinch (about 1/4 teaspoon) of citric and a tablespoonful of washing liquid seems to do the job nicely for my purposes. I read a warning that too much citric can damage the cases, but I don't recall the source off hand - perhaps someone out there in the know could clarify it?