Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valuation SLR88 carbine

Valuation SLR88 carbine

I have a theoben SLR88 carbine .22, comes with one none original (single lip) mag. Condition wise it is effectively as new, except for one small spot of blueing on the cocking lever.

I bought this as a "sister" for my rapid, but i know its a rare gun, (less than 200 made) and in this condition it is too nice to use in the field, and should be in the hands of a collector.

So what's it worth?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I sold one years ago.. Nice gun...
    Price very tricky, I'd say 700 maybe more...

Good quality pictures will help,as condition will impact on price with a rifle like this.

If near mint, at least £650. Probably a bit more to the right buyer.

IIRC, they made a carbine with a 10-ish" barrel, and an ultra-carbine with a 7-8" but I stand ready to be corrected. The latter is I think very attractive, and very rare.

The going rate is around 450 for this gun. They
    Made quite a few of them in .22. I have been
    Offered several just lately at this sort of price.
    Condition is a key factor.

If you can find a carbine version (less than 200 made) for £450, i will buy it off you. Perfectly happy to make £200 overnight!

Quote Originally Posted by weapon338 View Post
    The going rate is around 450 for this gun. They
    Made quite a few of them in .22. I have been
    Offered several just lately at this sort of price.
    Condition is a key factor.

There were only little more than 500 SLR-88's made in total of all the variations. The short barrelled so called carbine version was made right at the end of production with serial numbers in the 480 to a bit over 500, and as such is a rare rifle. I have only seen two - one was 484 and the other 504.. Nothing like as many as 200 produced though.

The best way to find out then is to put it up for sale
    With some pics and see who's got the deepest
    Pockets😄

The SLR-88 is considered the finest rifle Theoben ever made. The later ones were fitted with the HE and inner trigger safety though looking better, the non HE are by some considered the better. Few made, several subtle variations including a single shot FT, and only available for a few years. Don't think it matters, just finding one is hard enough. It must be noted that these have nothing in common with later SLR98's pricewise, or for any later Theobens. They were expensive then and cost more to produce that they ought as Theoben couldn't make a profit on them.

For mint examples then £750-£950. I haven't seen one on the forum for sale. If you find one for less grab it. People might balk at the top valuation but then they haven't got one, or if they do they aren't letting it go. Magazines should be original.

Other Theobens are two a penny.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_3969_2.jpg

Also available in the left !!

Serial Nr 406

Any owners - please note the warning about not operating the action when removed from the stock!

One the theoben Gas Ram Forum on Face---k the administraters say a mint 88 is only worth £500
    And the evolution is a common rifle and only worth £150/£200 I'd love to know what planet there're on

The last Theobens on their demise were discounted to get them off the gunshop shelves, so second hand valuations fell. Modern gasrams compete with PCP's so its a hard sell. But to me the SLR88 is in another league to the run of the mill Theobens because not only the build quality was so very high but the innovations were so forward thinking. The magazine and the stock were revolutions in its day, but now pretty common practice. Anyhow, I think they warrant a hefty premium. A hefty premium means you really are serious to buy one, but then these are in the big boys collectors league. There are plenty of gasrams to shoot; very few SLR88's.

I've sold a few choice items recently at premium prices. They don't fly off the shelf but they do go. But then they are the very best examples. Again used or just excellent then there are a few of most things about. Mint tricky, very.
    Still looking for a mint Webley Vulcan MKI. Should be easy as a lot were sold, but it isn't!

lol... Ray - I questioned them regarding their decision making skills after what you said and received an instant ban, then a torrent of swearing, name calling and abuse by PM when I questioned that!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    lol... Ray - I questioned them regarding their decision making skills after what you said and received an instant ban, then a torrent of swearing, name calling and abuse by PM when I questioned that!
    Ho ho ho Donald, sounds like that are still on form then! They gave me the thumbs down at the same time as Ray, so we have gone freelance; Theoben Gas Ram Owners on FB, you will be very welcome.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'm only aware of two lengths of the 88 - the full length (circa 16" barrel) - I still have this one
    - and the Ultra carbine ~ 8" barrel (sold that one)

Regular 88s in good nick worth 500-600

Ultra Ks, as many have noted on this thread, are MUCH rarer, and I stand by my earlier valuation, or even a bit higher.

Also, some of the the latter 88s were HE; my full length is pre, by ultra K was HE. I'm non sure there was ever a non-HE version of the ultra K though ?

Finally, my ultra K was a thumbhole; not sure if they are were.

Either way, it's a loverly gun and worth good money

** now what I really want is a .177 Imperator FT **