Thread: Girandoni-type pellet repeater?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Girandoni-type pellet repeater?

Looking at some pics of a Girandoni-type repeater posted the other day on the American Vintage Airguns forum by Mr Fletcher, it occurred to me that a similar system could work on a pellet-firing springer.

The production repeaters that I can think of involve rotary mags (ie prewar Haenel, CO2 revolvers), various lead ball mags (pre and post-war Haenel etc), or inline tubes behind the breach (Gamo, Jackal, prewar EM-GE).

Couldn't a Girandoni-style tube magazine parallel to the barrel be used to feed pellets via a sliding block breech, assuming it could be made airtight? Has anyone seen this done?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Looking at some pics of a Girandoni-type repeater posted the other day on the American Vintage Airguns forum by Mr Fletcher, it occurred to me that a similar system could work on a pellet-firing springer.

The production repeaters that I can think of involve rotary mags (ie prewar Haenel, CO2 revolvers), various lead ball mags (pre and post-war Haenel etc), or inline tubes behind the breach (Gamo, Jackal, prewar EM-GE).

Couldn't a Girandoni-style tube magazine parallel to the barrel be used to feed pellets via a sliding block breech, assuming it could be made airtight? Has anyone seen this done?
    Hi Danny,

Have you forgot about the Gem repeater?, isn't this similar?..
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi Danny,

Have you forgot about the Gem repeater?, isn't this similar?..
    Hi Dave. No, I remembered that one, but assumed it involved balls dropping straight into the breach (I must confess I didn't totally understand your detailed explanation ). I was thinking about the Girandoni's sliding breach really.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Most all of the vintage Crosman repeaters, models 102, 104, 118, 400, 600 use a system that is effectively the same as the Girandoni. They all have tube mags aligned with the barrel. The only real difference is the method of opening and closing the transverse shuttle.

The twisted rod mechanism seen in the 400 and 600 models came to designer Rudy Merz from watching his son play his accordion that used such a mechanism.

I find the twisted rod mechanism on my 400 fascinating!
    Very popular on pokers too.
    For those of us with fireplaces

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I find the twisted rod mechanism on my 400 fascinating!
    Very popular on pokers too.
    For those of us with fireplaces
    Or lockwire pliers / pin drills!

atb, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Most all of the vintage Crosman repeaters, models 102, 104, 118, 400, 600 use a system that is effectively the same as the Girandoni. They all have tube mags aligned with the barrel. The only real difference is the method of opening and closing the transverse shuttle.

The twisted rod mechanism seen in the 400 and 600 models came to designer Rudy Merz from watching his son play his accordion that used such a mechanism.
    Thanks. I'll have a look into those mechanisms.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Logun, ripley 25

I have repaired a few 600's and my 677 and find a lot of the feeding problems are caused by wear in the square hole of the cam ring where the cam rod passes through. The hole can start to wear in the corners going into almost round shape, making the shuttle pellet loader flop too loosely. There are a couple of methods of rectifying this with repairs, and also thankfully you can still get new cam rings.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I knew the thousands of years of combined wisdom that resides in BBS Collectables would come up trumps...

Here are some pics from Lawrie showing exactly the kind of device I had in mind, the Daystate Speedloader, designed for the QB Co2 air rifles.

Did it ever go into production? It says 'Patent pending' on it. I wonder if Girandoni got a mention in the patent application?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery