Thread: What would you do ?

What would you do ?

Hi Guys,

I'm sitting on the fence agonising over what I should do, so I'm after some advice and opinions...

At present I have two rifles, both in .22 ... a HW90TB and a TX200HC.

They are both excellent and I really like them both, but, I prefer the TX, its just so damn good to use and is as accurate as any other rifle I’ve ever owned, I love it. At present it has a hawke varmint 2.5-10x44sf mildot on top, which is ok and I'm managing ok with it, but the reticle is very thick so I’m hankering after something better.

Now, unfortunately money is tight, so the only way I can do this is to sell or swap my HW90TB, hence the agonising !! Before I do I want to know what you guys think about the scope I've been looking at.
    It's the Falcon Optics 4-14x44 FFP with the B20 reticle. I think it's perfect for my needs with the extra aimpoints on the lower reticle leg. But is it worth swapping or selling my HW90TB for it, and how good is this reticle for .22 at extended ranges. I do a lot of shooting at 40-80 yards so thought the B20 would be perfect.

What’s your thoughts ?

Cheers guys.

I liked the Falcon I had unfortunately my dog knocked my rifle over when it was rested on its bipod and it took the paralax adjuster off. it stripped the threads out.

If I was you and I really wanted another scope I would sell the spare rifle and take my pick of scopes that fall within budget. If you buy second hand you should be able to find bargain. I found a Sightron big sky for £350 an IMO a far superior scope in every aspect.
    I would suggest that if possible try before you buy as some scopes suit other peoples eyes and not others.

ATB. Hal.

Good S.H. versus new

I would definitely agree with Hal. Sound advice!

Quote Originally Posted by haloutdoors View Post
    I liked the Falcon I had unfortunately my dog knocked my rifle over when it was rested on its bipod and it took the paralax adjuster off. it stripped the threads out.

If I was you and I really wanted another scope I would sell the spare rifle and take my pick of scopes that fall within budget. If you buy second hand you should be able to find bargain. I found a Sightron big sky for £350 an IMO a far superior scope in every aspect.
    I would suggest that if possible try before you buy as some scopes suit other peoples eyes and not others.

ATB. Hal.
    I have to be honest I hadnt thought of secondhand but you've made a really good point, something like the Sightron at that price would definately be a consideration.

I think I've already decided to part with the rifle, I just need to decide which scope is for me, I'll take your advice and search out the secondhand offerings first.

Cheers for taking time out to offer your views guys.

mmmm

Ive said it b4 and al say it again,as regarding a 22 the is for me only one scope,the air max with the sr12 ret it fits the 22 perfect,there getting quite hard to get hold ov now,but theres one on a pro sprort in the sales section.,just wondering how you shoot out to 80yard with a 22?

Quote Originally Posted by hotversion View Post
    Ive said it b4 and al say it again,as regarding a 22 the is for me only one scope,the air max with the sr12 ret it fits the 22 perfect,there getting quite hard to get hold ov now,but theres one on a pro sprort in the sales section.,just wondering how you shoot out to 80yard with a 22?
    By using a mix of experience and guess work. I have an MTC Viper on the HW90 and a Hawke Varmint on the TX200. I've zero'd them both at 30 yards but I run out of mildots or lines at around 60 yards, after that I'm using my experience as to how far down the thick crosshair that I place the target. I've had shots out to 100 yards with the target right at the bottom of the scope. On a good day, weather wise, you'd be surprised at just how accurate and repeatable the shots are, when using the whole mil dot range. However, once on the thick crosshair it really is very hard to be consistent, and guess work and trial and error creeps in.

So, I've been thinking of getting the Falcon 4-14 x 44 FFP with B20 reticle. It appears to have more elevation built into the reticle, and, I can wind up the zoom whilst using the same aim points at very long range shots.

I hasten to add, all the shots are taken at metal knockdown targets and not live quarry.

Well, I would keep the 90 and save up! You wont find it easy to replace once the regrets set in!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer