Thread: kit to start out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

kit to start out

Hi guys
    I'm looking at starting g reolading for .22-250 and .25-06.
    I have people working with me who would help me set up and get me going once I have the equipment but I'm not sure what I need or where's best to get it.
    Ideally I'm looking for a secondhand kit of essentials that will be enough for me to start with then add to as I go along.
    Could anyone point me in the right direction?
    Cheers
    Jamie

this is a VERY good guide

> clicky <
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

What are you using it for mate Targets or Hunting. How Meany round do you need to
    load 20 at time or 100s.

If you check the bay under worldwide you get all the USA listings, provided you keep an eye on the shipping charges you can get some bargains, They quite often have the complete starter set up's listed.
    I've got an RCBS scales coming, with all shipping & duty etc pre paid for a fair bit less than the last UK sold items sold for, (also means I'll have a basic Lee safety scale for sale soon)

OTOH if you have a decent local RFD you might be able to negotiate a good deal if you buy everything from them.

If you can afford to, buy top quality gear first time, if not buy budget & then upgrade as you go.

It'll be for hunting, I'm a gamekeeper on a highland estate and its easier to reload than it is to keep pestering the boss for more bullets haha
    I imagine I'd be reloading about 50 at a time.
    Thanks for the heads up about fleabay.
    Are there any makers you would recommend to look at for a kit? Preferably towards the bottom end of the price range but enough to get me started for a couple of years.
    Cheers
    Jamie

Budget end is Lee, Lymann/Hornady/RCBS are better quality.
    as I only load .22 Hornet to start I bought a Lee hand press kit, Lee powder scales & Lee collet dies.

Within 6 months I've upgraded to a 3 turret press, Hornady dies (& now RCBS for K Hornet) & a better quality RCBS beam scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon sniper View Post
    Hi guys
    I'm looking at starting g reolading for .22-250 and .25-06.
    I have people working with me who would help me set up and get me going once I have the equipment but I'm not sure what I need or where's best to get it.
    Ideally I'm looking for a secondhand kit of essentials that will be enough for me to start with then add to as I go along.
    Could anyone point me in the right direction?
    Cheers
    Jamie
    It'll be for hunting, I'm a gamekeeper on a highland estate and its easier to reload than it is to keep pestering the boss for more bullets haha
    Are there any makers you would recommend to look at for a kit? Preferably towards the bottom end of the price range but enough to get me started for a couple of years.
    Cheers
    Jamie
    There is another option, have your handloading done for you.

Have a chat with Ronnie at Highland Handloads

http://www.highlandhandloads.co.uk/
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Cheers
    Jamie
    I'm not deliberately trying to be knobbish here, but is there potentially a problem with your employer's employer liability insurance (etc.) if something happens with one of your handloaded rounds?

Unless your boss is paying for the kit, you will be a very long time clawing back your money in reloading kit- the only place I make statistically significant savings is in my .44 loads (lightly loaded lead bullets), and shotgun slug (components bought in in bulk from Italy). .308 target ammo might now come in a fair amount cheaper than factory but again, I've bought components in mega bulk and some parts from the continent.

TBH it's probably quicker, cheaper and less hassle to ask your boss for larger batches of ammunition to be supplied (I would think he'd be agreeable to that as it's less time spent going back and forth to the gunshop and far less time you spend reloading "on the clock")- if necessary apply for an increase in your expanding ammunition allowance as well. Looking at Section 4.7 amd 13.30 of the guidance 500 rounds of expanding may not be an unreasonable allowance in your case.