Thread: Information on BSA Club standard air rifle

Information on BSA Club standard air rifle

Hi folks
    I have owned an old bsa club standard air rifle number cs39597 for the last 30 years, It has all original sights and screws also it has strap loops on the barrel and stock which appear to be original. Can anyone please give me any information and how much it is worth

Reg

Quote Originally Posted by reg free View Post
    Hi folks
    I have owned an old bsa club standard air rifle number cs39597 for the last 30 years, It has all original sights and screws also it has strap loops on the barrel and stock which appear to be original. Can anyone please give me any information and how much it is worth

Reg
    Hi Reg

Welcome to the best Airgun forum in the world and in particular this section (gentleman's corner). As for value, condition is everthing and without photos etc, we have to go down the road of £150 - £250

Binners

Quote Originally Posted by reg free View Post
    Hi folks

Reg
    Hi Reg,

Welcome to the forum!

Sling eyes were not standard on the CS model between the wars but if fitted professionally, will enhance interest IMHO. I once bought a No 2 Standard with a BSA aperture sight and sling swivels as without any visible etching, I thought it would make a good outdoor competition gun. This was on the basis I would not worry about getting the rifle wet in the rain but then Josie decided she could shoot well with it and it soon became hers.

Judging from the serial number, your CS39597 may be fitted with what some call a 'Transitional' stock. This stock has a rounded 1920's pistol grip profile with BSA heat impressed into the chequering. Later BSAs had the initials impressed into a more square profiled stock. Not many of the 'Transitional' stocks were made but with the long cylindered CS, the rare ones are those with the later squarer profile, which I believe were only made for a matter of months. I would estimate your rifle to have been made in 1929, roughly.

As that wise old Binners says, pictures are really needed to appraise with any degree of accuracy. I have seen long cylindered CS models sell from £160 for tatty but usable rifles to over £400 for a transitional stocked rifle with aperture sight and visible etching.

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 28-03-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo

Information on BSA Club Standard air rifle

thanks everyone for the information , As i am rubbish where computers are concerned i will see if i can get my better half to download some pictures.

reg