Hi Everyone

Thought I would give you a review of 2 silencing modifications for the CP1/Trophy target pistol that is becoming so much popular lately.

If you have one of these pistols, you will already know that they are LOUD, and not particularly backyard friendly. The two mods I am reviewing are supplied by PorkyYorky, and Tinbum.
PorkyYorky Silencers are well regarded on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum for being cheap, and very effective with most rifles, in particular the SMK QB78/79 CO2 range. The silencer I am testing was made especially for the CP1 so that it retains open sights with its incorporated foresight.
Tinbum’s Shrouds have been known for a little while now for providing effective silencing on rifles such as the BSA Ultra, at a cost that won’t break the bank compared to the more expensive options such as Huub or Huggett. The shroud I’m testing is I believe Tinbum’s first pistol shroud offering and can be used with or without open sights (but will require modification, see review).

Both these guys have a CP1 pistol, so they have made these bespoke to this pistol and tested before producing them for sale to us guys. So, you can be sure you won’t have any issues when coming to fit them to your CP1. They are also both friendly and approachable, so, should any issue arise, they will be happy to help. Both kits require the original barrel front sight removing.

The noise readings were taken using a Noise Meter app on my mobile, and recorded at approx. 1.5m from muzzle with no pellet loaded, so these are for guidance only and not exact (although it sounded quieter when firing a pellet, but the noise meter app picks up on the pellet impact). An initial reading from the pistol without anything fitted, was 55.7db. The test was carried out indoors to limit other noise interference with the reading such as wind (cos it’s howling a gale outside). I’m afraid I can’t weigh these as I don’t have any scales.

Starting off...
Comparison of the mods and their lengths (shown roughly where they will fit):

PorkyYorky Silencer (with foresight pin)
Cost: £20 Inc. postage
DB reading: 47.7db
Contact: http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreefo...wprofile&u=331

The silencer measures approx. 142mm long, and is made of Aluminium. It is made to fit the barrels 10mm diameter, and secures with a single grub screw. The internals comprise of a 2 chamber separation by baffle with padding to absorb the noise. The aluminium is machined well, but has some machining marks left over, however, you can paint this or vinyl wrap it if you wish. I had left this as is so I could tackle painting it another day. It’s also a good candidate for polishing if that’s your thing. PorkyYorky has tried to make this as light as possible and I found that it helped steady my aim having that little extra weight on the front of the pistol. I have used this at my club and you certainly won’t need any hearing protection indoors shooting targets at 10m, it’s quiet and it does a good job.
If open sights are not your thing, and you prefer optics, PorkyYorky also sells the silencers without the foresight pin.

Pro:
Straight swap for the standard foresight
Can be swapped over in seconds

Con:
Unfinished surface
Weighty

Tinbum Shroud
Cost: £19.99 + £3.95 postage
DB reading: 48.9db

The shroud measures approx. 260mm long, and is also made of Aluminium. Tinbum has also wrapped the shroud in carbon effect vinyl which looks great, finished off with black endcaps. It slips on snugly over the barrel and secures with 2 grub screws.
The internals comprise of 2 sections, first a chamber forward of the barrel which exits to the shroud, and a backdraft section which makes use of the void space between the barrel and the shroud body. It’s a setup that works and makes the most of the available space inside the small diameter tube. In terms of weight, it’s rather light.
The shroud was supplied with no front sight, however, if you wish to use one, you can drill and tap an M3 thread into the shroud and screw on the foresight from the original barrel weight. Tinbum did offer to do this for me before sending but I asked for it how he would intend to supply it, to give you a fair review as some buyers may be using optics, although I’m sure he will have no problem doing this for you if you wish to retain open sights. There is an advantage to this over the original foresight and the PorkyYorky mod that the foresight can be mounted further forward to gain a little more accuracy so you can tackle any sideways wobble/movement in your aim more effectively (in a similar way of embracing higher zoom on a rifle scope to hone in your aim and wobble).
Noise-wise, it’s quieter than having no silencing at all, I couldn’t tell much difference between the shroud and the Porky silencer, however the DB reading puts it at 1.2db higher than Porky’s, definitely backyard friendly.

Pro:
Can be swapped over in seconds
Pre-wrapped finish
Light

Con:
Requires the foresight swapping over if retaining open sights (please mention you want your shroud tapped for a foresight before ordering unless you have the tools to do this)

Please bear in mind that although these were built for the CP1, do not expect them to totally eradicate the muzzle noise. They are made purely to hush the pistol without adding excessive weight to it. If you are looking to hush it completely, then you would be better off using an air rifle silencer with a 10mm barrel adapter on the pistol. This however means you will lose the front sight and require an optic for targeting.

All of the above are merely my findings from both mods. I’ll leave the decision up to you on which you’d purchase, however, based on the overall length and style, I’ve chosen to go with the Tinbum shroud.

I hope you found the above information useful