Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone had bolt stuck back and magazine jammed in daystate?

When we bought our s/h .177 Wolf and MK3 some years ago, we had 'bolt' problems within a few weeks; but not of our making I add. The offending pellets were removed and I obtained the (then) free small brass inserts designed to stop the problem direct from Daystate, post free. Very kind of them.
    A short while later another problem arose with the Wolf .... a short length of steel rod about 3mm diameter x 20mm long (working from memory now) .. I think is is termed an actuator rod in the magazine mechanism ... broke in half and jammed the bolt. But I only found this out when I finally freed the mechanism by much shaking, upside down (the rifle not me), sideways, much swearing (from me) and more shaking. Symptoms were as for a stuck pellet. I even spoke to Tony B but all he could suggest was the shake and twist scenario. Eventually the bolt freed itself and I was able to remove the single shot tray and access the bolts that secured the breech block. To say I was surprised to find the broken rod is an understatement and I still have no idea why it broke. Another call to DS and a new rod was soon on its way to me, free of charge.
    What strange things these rifles are.
    Cheers, Phil

my mk3 did this a few times.as said pick it up and slap it.did the trick.never had this happen on any other gun

You should not be doing this to a gun costing £150 let alone one costing over £1000 , or am I missing something here

Wait till the socket head screw in the underside of the bolt, the one that slides in the actuator, shakes loose and comes undone half a turn. The head fouls the top of the action and you can't open the bolt. Shaking only makes it worse.

If you have a magazine in place when this happens, you are royally stuffed, as you can't withdraw the bolt to remove the mag, and until you have removed the mag you can't get at the two slotted screws in the breech area that attach the breech block to the action.
    Last edited by Rich; 31-03-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spotted a typo
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

As I see it this is only a potential problem if pellets are not inserted into the magazine properly, providing the pellet is pushed past the O ring it will be held in place and will not be able to slide backwards and into the action, no matter what elevation you are holding the gun at

Quote Originally Posted by airwolf1 View Post
    As I see it this is only a potential problem if pellets are not inserted into the magazine properly, providing the pellet is pushed past the O ring it will be held in place and will not be able to slide backwards and into the action, no matter what elevation you are holding the gun at
    I expect you're right, but I assume posters are referring to the single shot version, which has always been popular for HFT/FT. As Rich says, theres a lot that can go wrong with this design.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    I expect you're right, but I assume posters are referring to the single shot version, which has always been popular for HFT/FT. As Rich says, theres a lot that can go wrong with this design.

Gus
    No even pushing pellets in you can get one following the bolt back into the mechanism when reloading, happens on my Mk 3 sometimes. Luckily I have a Daystate accredited service agent wholives close to me who charges a fiver to extract the mangled lead!

I had this happen time after time on my Airwolf when shooting Corvids up at an angle.
    The slap and rattle works sometimes but what tends to happen is that the pellet ends up in the notch in the breech block that the lug on the probe sits in when you lock the bolt down.

I've removed lumps of lead from mine on occasions. Even when seating the pellet, the probe tends to pluck the pellet out of the mag and take it back into the block.

As said, if it happens when the mag is in place and it locks up, your in the shoite. I got tired of taking mine to bits so I got rid of it.
    AA s410 KT .177 HW100T .177 BSA R10 .177 Theoben MFR.20 . Webley Alecto.
    Geordie.....