Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Air Rifle Shoot at Bisley - Easter Sunday

Vintage Air Rifle Shoot at Bisley - Easter Sunday

For those who have bought 'new' rifles for their collections at the Bisley Arms Fair (and those who didn't!), BFTO are holding a vintage air rifle shoot in the woods on Easter Sunday from 09.45 onwards. This is a great opportunity to use a pre 1939 air rifle in the woods in like minded company. Please ensure you arrive before 09.45 for the mandatory safety brief.

If you want to bring nibbles, please do - I think Josie is baking a cake and no doubt Chris will bring along some of her famous sausage rolls!

These competitions are as competitive as you want. There is no pressure to score well but if you do, prepare for some friendly banter.

Hope to see friends old and new next Sunday.

John

Might bring my GAT along

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Might bring my GAT along
    Andy was once going to supply Edbear with a GAT rifle to shoot the comp with but we could not find one. I reckon Eddie would still have shot well with it though

Typical of my luck! Can't make it this time, plane takes off in a couple of hours for Oz/Tasmania. I REALLY enjoy the Bisley vintage shoots ( and the sausage rolls ).

If you haven't done it yet, why not? And excuses about travelling are not acceptable........ mind you, wallabies make bigger targets.

Have fun

Carl

Might try and Pop along as I'm thinking of buying a vintage

Quote Originally Posted by V8mate View Post
    Might try and Pop along as I'm thinking of buying a vintage
    The great thing about vintage guns is they are nice to look at, hold their value as collectables and they can still shoot!

I've often come away from one of these shoots with more guns than I turned up with and it's a great opportunity to see what others are using. Often collectors show off some very nice and interesting guns.

Kind regards,

John

Last call for this morning's shoot.

See you all there.

J&J

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Last call for this morning's shoot.

See you all there.

J&J
    How did it go? Been reading through the BFTO website on disciplines, etc. Sadly too far for me to consider as a club membership - BUT: the idea of a 'vintage gathering' now and then does appeal. What a great idea.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    How did it go? Been reading through the BFTO website on disciplines, etc. Sadly too far for me to consider as a club membership - BUT: the idea of a 'vintage gathering' now and then does appeal. What a great idea.
    Richard
    Hi Richard,

These are regular club events at Bisley, which are held several times a year. They are technically club shoots but many on this forum are regular guest attendees, which is why we extend an invite each time. Our resident course setter Andy Draper, who often answers to Mr B**tard likes to have a theme for each event such as the WW1 event held last year upon which I reported in Airgun World and Mike Jones in Airgun Shooter (Sept 2014 issue).

The recent shoot was Easter themed and the Nockover targets were adapted to rabbit faceplates, along with creme eggs and similar designs. One rabbit did not have an opening for the kill zone and you had to shoot between its eyes to hit the reducer behind - not many of us managed to knock this one over unsurprisingly.

Turnout was excellent and weather was kind to us. After the buffet lunch, we set up a Playboy Bunny target (well it was Easter and it was a bunny) at some 45 yards. The target was wired to an electric console that sang a melody if you were lucky enough to hit it. Most of us couldn't even see it and the 4 shots we were allowed made a nice pattern around it. That was until one of the girls, Chris was persuaded to have a go much to her reluctance. In front of a baying crowd, Chris showed the men how to shoot by hitting the bunny twice in a row and taking the prize of an Easter egg with ease. Prior to that only one competitor had hit the bunny once.

To sum up, all had a great day and scoffed Chris' excellent sausage rolls that she always supplies on these shoots and we are looking forward to the next event in the summer.

I know you're a distance away but these events are a great deal of fun and some guests have been known to drive 200 miles to shoot in the Bisley woods.

Kind regards,

John

sounds fantastic. I used to shoot every weekend at Bisley from about 8 years old with Dad during the 60's and well into the late 70's - pistol pits mostly. And at nearby Pirbright with Dad at the Guards range. Too far to consider as a regular club attendee, but I will definitely aim to be at the next one with my BSA Standard (First Batch, 1905) oiled and ready.

Many thanks for the info. Richard

sounds fantastic. I used to shoot every weekend at Bisley from about 8 years old with Dad during the 60's and well into the late 70's - pistol pits mostly. And at nearby Pirbright with Dad at the Guards range. Too far to consider as a regular club attendee, but I will definitely aim to be at the next one with my BSA Standard (First Batch, 1905) oiled and ready.

Many thanks for the info. Richard
    The pistol range with the winding targets is still there, although I believe it is now a Gallery type range for rifles of pistol calibre. I recall shooting a Webley Mk II (I think) with the birds head butt and a .455 Webley auto there many years ago. All mere memories now

Your BSA sounds ideal and it would be good to see you at the next one.

Kind regards,

John

The pistol range with the winding targets is still there, although I believe it is now a Gallery type range for rifles of pistol calibre. I recall shooting a Webley Mk II (I think) with the birds head butt and a .455 Webley auto there many years ago. All mere memories now

Your BSA sounds ideal and it would be good to see you at the next one.

Kind regards,

John
    Dad had a bizarre 'open' home office license from 1963 when he was dragged back 'in' (under official secrets act) to teach combat firearm to diplomatic protection corps, special branch, etc. 'etc' seemed to cover a weird bunch of people who arrived each week at the ranges with just first names and a letter of introduction. Dad's 'main thing' was assessing likely firearms that an emerging uk armed police force might encounter against something Dad kept referring to (on largely deaf ears) as 'terrorists' .... because the Police weren't armed. Hard to believe isn't it - but no weirder than trying to explain to my sons (in their twenties) that mobiles didn't exist when i was a boy.

It was Heaven for me: shot (stripped and cleaned) just about every type of revolver and automatic you can think of, plus quite a range of auto and semi auto rifle and sub m/gun. As i said before - Heaven. I can honestly say i had a very happy and normal childhood!

Dad had a bizarre 'open' home office license from 1963 when he was dragged back 'in' (under official secrets act) to teach combat firearm to diplomatic protection corps, special branch, etc. 'etc' seemed to cover a weird bunch of people who arrived each week at the ranges with just first names and a letter of introduction. Dad's 'main thing' was assessing likely firearms that an emerging uk armed police force might encounter against something Dad kept referring to (on largely deaf ears) as 'terrorists' .... because the Police weren't armed. Hard to believe isn't it - but no weirder than trying to explain to my sons (in their twenties) that mobiles didn't exist when i was a boy.

It was Heaven for me: shot (stripped and cleaned) just about every type of revolver and automatic you can think of, plus quite a range of auto and semi auto rifle and sub m/gun. As i said before - Heaven. I can honestly say i had a very happy and normal childhood!
    Now you are making me feel very jealous and inadequate when I think of the GAT gun I had when I was a teenager!

Now you are making me feel very jealous and inadequate when I think of the GAT gun I had when I was a teenager!
    everything is relative. You undoubtedly have more to do with shooting now that you have the time and mind set to enjoy it than i do.
    Though.... am leaving for Kenya on tuesday (to see favourite ancient Uncle). Haven't been back there for 34 years - and did a lot of shooting then.

and BTW.... what's wrong with a GAT?